Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe pain in left buttock and thigh when walking

I had this problem in the spring and after 2 or 3 months of stretching and intense core muscle exercising the problem went away. The was no signifcant event which I can recall that brought on this condition. I thought it might be sciatic, bur every thing I have read about sciatica is it bothers you when sitting. I got relief from the pain by either sitting or squatting. I was pain free for about 2 months.

Last week I was lifting something in my garage and felt a twinge in my lower left back. I was able to get around for a couple of days with very minor pain. Three days later my original pain(pain in buttocks and thigh only when walking or standing) have return but are considerably worse than the first bout. I also have a minor pain accompanying these round.

My question is what could possibly causing this if not sciatica. I have appointments with my Primary ( prescribe oral steroids last time with no effect) and chiropractor upcoming. I went the health club yesterday and sat in hot tub which gave me temporary relief along with doing some stretches. I am worried about doing the core exercises as the pain in my back is new and the pain in my buttocks is so much more intense.

I was wonder if any anyone else has had this pain which is so close to sciatica ,but occurs when sciatica is nor suppose to occur.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Sounds like how mine was and it was a herniated disc. It may get worse and go down into the calf into the foot. Definitely get it checked out
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/15/2014 - 5:49 AM
    and depending on where the sciatic nerve is irritated, determines the type of symptoms you are going to have.
    Normally, taking it a bit easy, mild stretching, and the use of over the counter pain relievers eases the pain. It can last a few days to a few weeks. If it continues for longer than 4 weeks, it is time to visit your primary.