Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l3-4 hemilaminotomy micodisectomy

edited 09/15/2014 - 5:36 AM in Recovering from Surgery
hello new to the forum, i had surgery june 5th 2014, things were not going as I anticiapated, i was at work and went to lift a full 5gal bucket of waste (40-60) lbs, when i went to set the bucket down i felt something in my lower back pop, was seen by comp doc, he recommended mri, mri showed l3-4 disk herniation, so i had surgery.

after sugery I was sore, still had leg pain,(upper left thigh) and lower back pain, see nuerosugeon 1 week after surgery, puts me on stronger pain meds, I call and complain 2 weeks later that I am not feeling any better, he continues pain meds, I keep calling and complaining, mean time I am doing what i am supose to be doing, walking, light stretches ect ect.

on july 21st sends me for mri, results say still some moderate hernaition at l3-4, and l4-5, he says that should not be causing my pain level.

what concerns me is I can still see the herniations on the mri, as i see something strange looking at S1.

can someone help me determine what the mri is seeing.

I haven`t figured out howto post a pic of the mri, but at S1 the top of the bone is white and has big L shaped divet init.

• http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

Surgery isn't an instant cure for spine issues. What it does is address the anatomical or nerve compression issues , but your body needs time to heal and recover. If there was nerve compression prior to the surgery, it can take weeks, even months before those symptoms improve, depending on the severity of the compression and the damage to the nerve.
    Ongoing pain is common post op, and usually diminishes over time, as you recover, but regular stretching once you are cleared by your surgeon is imperitive, so is avoiding doing anything that might further put your spine at risk. It takes time for the discs to scar over where the herniation is removed.
    You are just now coming to the end of the acute phase of recovery ( first three months), so you have time yet for your body to continue healing.
    You can post a picture if you would like, using the text format link below but we can't advise you on medical testing or images.
  • Hi I had a l3/l4 microdiscectomy 10 days ago,,,, I started with back pain for few days then got sciatica and also got a foot drop, went to hospital said I had a slipped disc and would need to send me for mri and sent me home,, never got the mri and I rang and asked why they said I would recieve an appointment when I did it was for 5 weeks later to see an consultant, I rang again and said that wasn't good enough and needed to be seen sooner,, got me in 2 weeks after going to hospital she told me I needed an mri and sent me straight away and referred me to a spinal surgeon at different hospital finely got the results 6-7 weeks after getting foot drop etc,,, the surgeon said it had been left to long and I now had a paralysed foot and would not recover with surgery,,, I had surgery to relieve pain in leg,,, surgery went well,,pain gone in leg but still got numbess down the side and numbess in foot and 2 toes drives me crazy in my foot feels like something wrapped around to tight still get pains in it,, on gagapentin for nerve pain just increased it yesterday also again in a week,, finely took my dressing off sooo good to finely have a shower instead of sink baths lol,,,still got stitches in not sure when they dissolve,,, was hoping that the surgeon was wrong about my foot drop but it's still exactly the same have to use crutches when I'm out in case I trip,, have to start rehabilation and have to wear a splint just waiting for appointment for that,,,but early days I suppose,,,
    Are you not on any nerve pain meds for your pain,,,hope they sort you out soon and take care,,,,
  • yes I am on 900mg gabapentin 3x daily along with the pain meds.
  • Debbied67DDebbied67 Posts: 100
    edited 09/15/2014 - 2:42 AM
    I'm only on 600mg till Saturday then will be 900mg like you,,, how do you find it, is it helping,, do you have any problems with it,, it seems to bung me up and difficult to go,, see how I go in with it,, hope you arnt in to much pain