Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery gone wrong

Hi I am new and I really hope I'm doing this right. I found this site when I was looking up screws coming loose from a lumbar fusion. I had my 3-4 vertebra fused three years ago. I had some serious pain in my leg. After the surgery it was gone and it felt great. But I had so much pain in my back. And even six months after the surgery I had pain. I must have went back 10 times in the last 3 years. About 6 months ago the pain got worse. It was so bad sometimes that it took my breath. I went back to the doctor again and he just sent me to pain management. I have become so addicted to Tramadol. In fact I just got kicked out for getting a scrip from another doctor. It comes up when they check that national narcotic list. So I decided it was time I found another doctor. He told me the screw where the fusion was done has come loose. And something about my vertebra isn't aligned. I am very scared and in a lot of pain. I have to have a cat scan Saturday. I suppose the only way to get out of pain is to have surgery. I need some feedback.
Have a good day

• davidwright242ddavidwright242 Posts: 32
    edited 09/17/2014 - 4:12 AM
    I am facing a revision surgery due to things not fusing and that might be what you are dealing with too. When things don't fuse properly then the primary hold on things is the hardware, though the hardware is designed to act like a cast and is not meant to be permanent and thus gives out. Sometimes hardware can break even after things have fused, EDITED I assume an xray look was able to point something out about the vertebrae.

Post edited for offering a medical opinion. ALL information posted by members is their own OPINION and is NOT to be used as a basis for medical diagnosis or treatment.
    --) Dave (--
  • Okay let me get this straight. Are you telling me that the work this doctor did 3 years ago did not fuse right? I surely hope that this is not the case. Now this doctor TOLD me the fusion was a success. I just don't see how my vertebra and come out of align.. If it's fused and it does.......isn't that a break????? You know it's a sad thing to tell your doctor your back is still hurting a year after surgery and he tells you that it is in my head. Knowing that I am bipolar, I really thought it was. I get so mad at myself for not getting a second opinion or reading reviews on this doctor. When I did look the review up last week, he told a total of 7 people that it was all in their head and to seek psychiatric help. Sometimes I can be so gullible and believe that if they are a doctor then they are a God of medicine. Thank you very much for helping me. And I'm glad to FINALLY know I'm not crazy!
    Have a good day
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • NO ONE is able to tell you whether or not you fused.........posts/opinions made by members are NOT medical opinions and should NOT be taken as such. Until you have had the imaging done, and discussed the findings with your doctor, there are many reasons that a screw may have loosened over time....including osteopenia, or osteoporosis, too much stress on the screw from improper bending or lifting techniques used by the patient post op, and more......
    Pain ongoing post fusion may continue for a long time, not months but years. for many different reasons, not all of them related to a failure of fusion or hardware.....many times it is muscular pain due to the muscles attempting to cope with the new alignment.
  • Sorry, yes, I did not mean to suggest anything other than speculation. . . . My sincere apologizes for anything other than just chatter, it's best to just wait and understand that anything people say here are just opinions and options and not to base anything other than that.

Your doctor say about your vertebrae not being aligned, that is a strange diagnosis, but yes your CT scans (which is an amazing process) should tell you much much more. When I got my CT scans, I went to the office and got copies of my own discs so that I could follow up with what the doctor was saying when I saw him go through them at the appointment.
    --) Dave (--