Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What type of care after surgery?

I will be having a one level fusion surgery in coming early Oct. I have offers to take care of me after hospital stay.

Now that I read this website and forum, I am interested of professional assistance 24/7 type of help for the first week so that I won't trouble others changing my back and side wound dressing as well as getting out of bed, etc.

My doctor's PA suggested Rehab. I called and I don''t think that I want to be pushed into acute rehab stuff, just want to rest and take it easy the first week.

Does anyone have any suggestions of any facilities with nurse assistance?
by the way, Rehab is $1500 per day, ouch!!
otherwise, I am 52, strong and healthy with no other problems besides Spondy.

• that professional 24/7 care is necessary. I also wouldn't have liked going to a rehab facility. Being in your own home, surrounded by your own things and in your own familiar environment is nice.

If you have someone who is willing to stay with you and provide assistance with cooking and cleaning and lending moral support, I would personally recommend going that route. You'll probably get more rest too.

FWIW, my bandages were all removed prior to being released from the hospital (I had a four level ACDF and they harvested the bone from my iliac crest). Ask your doctor's office about this. It may be that you won't have any dressings that will need attention. I'm not sure what you're having done.

Good luck with your surgery!
    4 level ACDF, C3-C7 with iliac bone crest graft with hardware on August 22nd.
  • I'm not sure that rehab at that cost is necessary? If you have some friends or family members that could assist you during the 2-3 weeks post op than this might suffice. As for changing the bandages, my strips fell off after about 2 weeks and the main stitches are designed to dissolve. Not that my hospital experience was bad however, being at home surrounded by familiarity
    assisted in my healing process. In my experience the first 3 weeks were essential regarding help. After that, I was fine on my own.
    I'm 52 and had 2 level on 8/11/14. I've been walking 1-2 miles per day since my release back on 8/14. The 5 week post op appointment was yesterday and everything seems to be progressing. Back to driving, albeit short trips, was a huge plus after 5 weeks!
    Apologies if I ranted too much about my situation. I was merely giving you an opportunity to contrast and compare
    With your forthcoming procedure.
    I hope it was some help to you.
    Good luck!
    Bilateral L5 spondylolysis L5 with grade I anterolisthesis L5-S1.
    Stable multilevel degenerative spondylosis contributing to mild canal
    narrowing L2-3 and L3-4.
    360 ALIF & PLIF L-4 - S-1 on 8/11/14
  • Thanks EA1070 for your recommendations.
    Thanks Erersvl!!! appreciate hearing your situation, really makes me feel not alone.
  • alone! These surgeries are tough and they're scary and the recovery process can be daunting. Between two weekends and Labor Day, my husband was with me 24/7 for a total of 11 days. He's done everything - cooking, cleaning, laundry - you name it. He also spent both nights at the hospital with me. The second night he chased all of the nurses and CNAs away so I could sleep.

Let your friends and loved ones help you through this. Make sure you have a comfy place set up for your return home. We bought an electric recliner and I basically lived in it the first two weeks. I also bought a grabber so I could pick things up if they fell on the floor. Love the grabber.

So what are you having done?
    4 level ACDF, C3-C7 with iliac bone crest graft with hardware on August 22nd.
  • please consider not spending the money on professional help. It sounds like you have family help. That is what really helps you get through the first few days. you really don't get love from a professional.
  • LindaMacLLindaMac Posts: 49
    edited 09/20/2014 - 3:10 PM
    My husband has been my main caregiver but I have had other friends in to sit with me or walk with me when he needed to be away. Friends provided meals for the first 3 weeks. My best buy - a bed rail for about $100.00 to help me with turning. I had a one level fusion with staples and a hospital readmit about ten days post op for pleurisy with atalectisis. Muscle spasms have been my biggest most painful post-op complaint.