Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

twins225 here...7 Level Thoracic Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in New Member Introductions
hi again. i can't figure out how to add a signature, so i wanted to go ahead and formally introduce myself. my name is rebecca, i am 29, and the mother of 3 year old twin girls. our lives weren't busy enough, so we were thrown a huge curve ball 7 months ago.

on 11.21.07, we were in a near-fatal auto accident, in which our ford f250 4 x 4 diesel 4-door pick-up rolled twice. to make a very long and complicated story short, my husband and girls made it out without a scratch. i later found out that i had broken my back, my shoulder, fractured and bruised ribs, and even had collapsed lungs. my broken back consisted of a burst fracture of t5 (nearly 2/3 of the vertebrae had shattered, leaving only a third of it left). i was told by the docs that i was a miracle to be alive and to have NOT been paralyzed during the accident.

after 2 long surgeries, i was left with a 7-level thoracic fusion from t2-t8, with 16" titanium rods and screws running the length of most of my back. i also needed to have a decompression laminectomy of t4 and a bone graft from my hip to t5.

so after 7 months of painfully brutal recovery, i am so excited to say that i am PAIN FREE and off ALL pain meds! i have been struggling with depression on and off since the accident, but i am being treated with cymbalta for that, which seems to work for me.

i have worn my tlso brace for 7 months, but have graduated to only needing it for driving. i even went offshore fishing 3 weeks ago and had NO problems at all. no pain afterwards or even the next day....it was amazing and exactly what i needed.

i have learned so much from my accident, about life, love, and so much more! i think this was my "wake-up" call. there is even talk from my doctor that we may consider removing all of the hardware after the first year mark, if the fracture is completely healed.

all-in-all, i am a true example of a successful surgery. though many of you struggle with pain on a daily basis, i truly understand and wish you all the best. i am a member to several forums like these, and have gotten only heart-felt support. it great to have such resources.

i hope to meet some of you soon...i will post regularly under the back surgery forum.

be well,
rebecca (www.twins225.weebly.com)

• welcome to spine-health...
  • Welcome to Spine health. I'm glad to hear that your recovery has gone well. Did you post on the old forum? I seem to remember your story?..

Best of luck to you!

• your story is just so inspiring. I think I would have crawled up in a ball and want to die. You are a remarkable woman and your courage and outlook on life is amazing.

God bless you Rebeca!
  • what a story and really hits home amazing you still funtion good for you and GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!
  • I was insured at work had physical therapy and trackion steriod shots finally sent to a neuro dr. He checks my reflexs and I didnt even know my toes wouldnt bend but found out with shock and fear I start crying and he assurred me He could fix that with surgery ok.1990 I had a discectimony at L45 l4 was crused and while in my back he found a tumor so he cut more of my spine but thought he was doing right he was sure cancer even told family He was wrong. out of work 1 year civil service they change my job to light duty with lots of restrictions1993 comes and at work my back locks up i cant move call ambulance and taken back to military hospital and this time a ortho dr. says has to operate and explains I have huge disc material on nerves like rock on a hose will have permanat nerve damage so ok. I have nerce damage drop foot and go numb on left in crotch area down annoying to say the least. military hospital rebuilds and sends us to outside source I hear of this great spine spec dr. so I go see him for one year he treats me conserv and orders a mri then sees a problem and cant believe I was walking says need surgery right away ok 1997 and he does a fusion I have a problem dont know what but face swelled i was purple was told they were ready to put me in ICU scares my family once again. I was so thankful to be alive I have a awaking to life if I had to walk with a walker so be it t least I walk. he is very surprised with me cant believe my strength says thats why I walk if I had been a couch potatoe I wouldnt be walking that my muscle tone is great I walk ride bike to keep strenght but still have problems sends me to his pm dr who did s discogram which is very painful.that dr says I have DDD and l5s1 is awful need surg again sends me back to my spine dr. and he says who told me that.He says you know what a fusion is and how it is and I would have 65% chance of success so I say yes cause I want my life back 2004 he does a second fusion l4l5s1 using a cageand again I have problem bled out lost all blood got 8 pts of blood dont know why some people handle that deep under surg like a trauma and I guess I do. again feel great back to pm going on with life and he does another discogram and L1l2l3ltop of l4 ruptured i cant believe it I had to see spine dr again he ask whats been going on I ride my bike and grogery shop and left leg trips me hurt cant stand straight up walk baby steps he says He wont do fusion he like me and to much and push keep riding and use my cane and walker but try to keep my muscle mass it was like my lower half couldnt support my upper half thats how it feels and thats whats happening.spine dr. talked to pm dr. who now wont tell me whats wrong I say I know I have DDD he says oh you have that but so much more is wrong with your spine.But thats it now he wants me to see spine dr. my L1 is really bad and I am so thankful for this site I found list of questions 36 to ask of dr.what happens if no surg and am I a disc replacement canidate and what is wrong with disc 1 has all water leaked out of disc has broken what is it exactly I need to know so I can structure my life sell house no stairs move in handicap apartment now he wants me to sell silverrado truck its nice easy ride its custom and not a work truck but says still a truck that I need some thing a nice touring kinda car. there are things I need to know then I see people in whell chairs with a spine like mine and he says stop looking at them I am me and I am different that i can do what I feel like.That was then but now why is he wanting to see me has something changed fusion of whole lumbar is scary now I have DDD in neck and T section I dont understand but will see him on 22 jan if its surg again ok I am much more informed thanks to this site
  • Rebecca,
    I am very encouaged by your positive attitude. I am new to this forum. I had a four level thoracic spinal fusion to remove a tumor six months ago. I am still in alot of pain and would love to hear more about how you are doing.