Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks post op for L5 S1 Posterior Fusion Now having Bladder problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
Glad to get in on new site.

I am 4 weeks out of L5 S1 Fusion and have not been able to urinate on my own. I was cathed for 3 weeks then it came out. I was able to push and get some urine out, but went back to Urologist and had to have it placed again. Can't empty bladder own my own. I have also had three bladder infections and had antibiotics. They say it is not uncommon to have your bladder go into shock like this. They said it could be at least 4-6 more weeks before I get control again. Besides this, I am getting better each day. Still a bit of pain after sitting for a long time. Walking each day. Feeling better now that infection is not bad. Coming down off pain meds and listening to doc. I go next week to get X-Ray to see if fusion has begun. Hope to get ok to drive and PT.
I wrote this post on the old site and received 2 responses. Was told this is not very normal and should get more opinions. I noticed someone else had the same problem, but did not get their name. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

• Sharon,
    You might want to check recent post, it talks about not been able to go also. Good luck,
  • I'm so sorry you are having the problems with urination. I don't know what to say except it doesn't sound good for you. What does your dr. say about this problem?
  • I'm so sorry to hear that , but I have heard of that happening before and in time it fixed itself, best of luck to ya hun!
  • I hope that you were able to find the post that I talked about but if not let me give you some history that happened to me. In 1992 I had my left ureter collapsed after a hysterectomy, I could not urinate on my own after the did the re-implantation so I had a nifty catheter with a bag on my leg for a few months :sick: . After been put and and off the catheter and not been able to go they inserted a stent on my left ureter, nada! So finally the nurse taught me how to catheterized myself (not fun!), but it worked and then after I started that all of the sudden I was able to go, so hopefully this will happen with you. Good luck and take care.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member haglandc
  • You have no right spamming a pain forum!
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN