Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member- Chronic pain

I have read many of the post on here and although its sad how many people have the issues they have it is also comforting knowing that I am not alone. About 2 years ago I had the surgery fusion of L4, L5 & S1 it was following a decade of pain in lower back. The pain after surgery was intense but was made easier with opiates. I thought the surgery was a success because the pain was not in the same place, 2 years later I am in so much pain I have quit all the activities I enjoyed as a man can that is going on 50, I still work 55-60 hours a week since the bills keep coming in but I am in constant pain. I was with a pain management Dr. but 1 month I was in a lot of pain and ran out of the meds he prescribed and i failed my urine test for not having enough of the meds in my system, now I am at wits end, I can not imagine living like this and I kick myself in the butt for doing what I did. I am sure I am dependent on the medication and I might even be addicted to it but I can not manage to do what I need to do without the 30% or 40% of pain relief the meds gave. This forum is the only people I ahve found to understand the pain and the thoughts that accompany the pain. I know this is a brief description of my situation but any input would be greatly appreciated.

• I'm sorry that you are in pain, but as you found out the hard way, taking more of the medications prescribed to you is not an option, if you want to continue with having your pain managed.
    How early did you run out? And what medications were you taking? There are many threads in the treatment section of our forums that discuss the very problems you are now facing.
    If you were having increased pain, why didn't you just call your doctor and ask him what to do? There are other options available to treat increased pain than just relying on pain medications.....

• SnowmannoSSnowmanno Posts: 2
    edited 09/18/2014 - 8:56 AM
    Ran out about 5 days before the 28 day appt I was taking 30mg Oxycontin 2x daily and 30mg oxycodone for breakthrough pain upto 4 x day. I realize what I did but there has to be a fine line between trying to get relief and abuse. Have you ever tried to call your Dr and tell him your not getting relief, I don't know if he remember my name when he came in to any of my visits until he looked at my folder. Its my fault I understand I signed a contract but dag nab it, I hurt something furious, and now I have wd and pain to cope with and I am not doing well with it.
  • To answer your question, yes, I have always called my doctor when my medications have not controlled my pain and the breakthrough medication dose wasn't working well enough to bring the pain levels back down.
    If you find that you are using the breakthrough medications on any kind of regular basis, then the long acting medication is in need of adjustment in dosage.
    If you are taking breakthrough medications on a daily basis, and especially more than once a day, you are only increasing the total amount of opiates in your system and your body will quickly acclimate to that new amount......and send your brain signals indicating increased pain to get you to give it more. This leaves you NOTHING to manage increased pain levels.
    Being dismissed is going to make it much more difficult to find another doctor willing to prescribe to you, and when you do find one, you can expect that you will be monitored much more closely than before.
    The right thing to do would have been to call your doctor at the first sign of the breakthrough medications not working and the extended release not managing your day to day pain levels well. Ask him what else you can do to lessen the pain......
    I don't know how long you have been seeing this doctor, but I would be concerned if a doctor didn't recall me if I have been his patient for some time.
    Doctors are under no obligation to worry about whether a patient is not following the rules because his meds aren't working when the patient fails to let them know that, or if they are abusing them. Running out 5 days early means that you took substantial amounts more per day than you are prescribed....
    One last thing is that Oxycontin in particular is known for needing increased dosages and frequency, so it might be worthwhile when you do see a new doctor to think about using a different medication to manage the pain levels.
    The goal of a pain management program is a reduction of 50% of your UNmedicated pain levels, then using other modalities, the judicial use of breakthrough medications, TENS, ice, excercise, physical therapy, distraction, rest, swimming or other forms of excercise and alternative and over the counter therapies to manage the rest....