Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 Months Post Fusion Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey Gang! I had my 360 fusion at L4/L5 in Nov 07 and felt pretty good until about 5 weeks ago when I felt a funny twinge while getting a watermelon out of the fridge. I started back to PT after a month off and have been going twice a week for a month. The pain down my leg has increased and I'm even having some radiating pain down my other leg and on the top of both feet and toes. But more annoying is the pain in my back that feels all too familiar. It really hinders my life again and the couch is my favorite place to be....again. I put off surgery before so long before that I now have permanent nerve damage at the right sciatic. I don't want to wait too long again, so I'm seeing my surgeon Tuesday.

I've been reading about your experiences with hardware removal and my surgeon mentioned at the last visit 4 weeks ago that it may be a consideration since I'm fully fused. But I've read about spinal collapse after implant removal and don't want to take this step too lightly. I know there are a few of you who had yours taken out at about 7 months....Erin, I think....So I thought I'd ask y'all (all of you "Removals" how do you feel now? Would you do it again if you knew what to expect? Are there other things you'd consider instead? And what on earth is the procedure like when it's a 360. Will they have to go through front and back again? And most importantly did it help? I know there are a few of y'all who have your stories posted but I'm having a heck of a time finding them so I'm hoping this will cut to the chase.

• I am not a removal member but my hubby is. A little over 10 years ago he had 3 surgeries total and the last one was to remove the rest of his hardware (he had some removed during the secong surgery as well ). He had it done because of the pain that he was having with the scar tissue buildup and the hardware. He never regretted having it done and now we have 2 containers worth of hardware that makes an interesting topic of conversation with people. Mainly because they can't belive that he had THAT MUCH stuff in him at one time. Whatever you decide to do just discuss ALL things with your doc and then see how you feel about it because at the end of the day the decision has to be yours and yours alone. Good luck to you and please keep us posted as to what you end up doing and how you are feeling.....take care , Miki
  • Not sure I can help much, my fusion wasn't 360 and I've only just had mine removed.

It was a T12-L2 posterior fusion and I'd broken a pedicle screw. It is 12 months since the fusion and only one week since the surgery so I'll let you know how I go. I was making a fantastic recovery (fusion was to stabilise a burst fracture) and I'm sure that it was the hardware causing me any slight discomfort (i'm a slight build and very active.)