Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do you like the new message board?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:18 AM in Lighten and Brighten
Hey everyone!

I'm writing a press release announcing the new message boards and I'd like to solicit some real user feedback to use as a quote in the press release... so if the new board or the message boards here in general (like even before this latest improvement) give you happy-warm-fuzzy feelings and you would like to be quoted in my press release, please post your replies here, or email me at cshelby@spine-health.com

Thanks in advance!
Carolyn
advertisement

Comments

• There needs to be more consistancy on where to find user account links and such. One time everything you want is on the top of the page, the next page user account stuff isn't even on the page, the next time it's on the left side of the page. Consistancy!!!! In the last forum arrangement you could go back to the Forum topic at the bottom of the page. With the new one you don't get that option and it gets very annoying having to scroll up the page all the time to find anything.

Basicly, this new forum lacks consistancy and that needs to be changed in order for things to go smoother.

-Jessica
  • AMEN! Jessica,

in agreement with you,

Kin :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
  • This is just my thought but I think this new site needs some tweeking, it isn't bad, but not quite as good as the old site. I have faith it'll get there.
  • I believe that the old site used to be more user friendly than this one, but that is just my opinion..... and Jess I agree with you girl! I just hope that things will get tweek soon. And yes Carolyn, are you a new member?? :?
  • My complaint is I still can't get a new topic going. Won't let me do that. Several times I have wanted to ask about something that doesn't fit topics already in play. Otherwise, it is OK since Hokey set me up with a site.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    Malaw,

Are you takling about starting a new topic?
    Its really easy once you have done it once.
    At the bottom of the forum category you are in, there is a clickable Post new Forum Topic Click on that and you will see how easy it is to post a new topic
    If you have any problems, just message me and I will step you through it
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • when someone replies to a message it stays under that message, it doesn't go to the bottom. You can miss those replies if you only scroll down to the bottom to look at "new posts". Speaking of "new posts"...there isn't a "New Posts" link to show you the new posts since your last log on. Oh...and I can't tell if I've responded to a thread...and please don't ask me to trust my memory. I like the dots in the old forum so you knew which threads you previously posted to. Seriously...there are so many threads, topics, replies, new comments...some of us need help keeping track.
    Patricia, yes, things are different. I made a post earlier today that explained the difference between POSTS and REPLIES.
    They are two different animals.
    There is not an easy navigation tool like the old Spine-Health site had. Maybe they will be none to replace that. We are in a different world now and in a different environment.
    I do know that between what all the members report as concerns and problems and what we take forward to the developers, some will be resolved and some will not. I wish I had the fore sight to know which ones, but I dont,
    But stick with us,stick with the moderators we will try to get you through as much as we can
  • Also at top of thread beside "My Account" there is a "Post Topic" icon.

I think what is probably happening is malaw is getting there but there is a box you have to click on that tells which forum to post in.

I messed-up before and clicked submit without having told which forum I wanted it posted in and it wouldn't let me post.

Maybe that's what is happening??????
  • Well said Jessica.

This Drupal software and Content Management based system are not designed for end users (us). They are designed for Marketing. This is a perfect example. Businesses love it because they can throw advertising at you left and right within the Forum. Most forum users find it annoying. One of my favorite websites has injected this content management concept into an existing BBS system. At least you still have true forum functions where a user can manager new, old posts, threads, sections, etc... This software lacks some of the most basic functions. The time line concept in threads is amusing. It reminds me of news reader software from the 70s...

That said. This site is a business 1st and user forum maybe 2nd at best. I understand that and I'm fine with it. At least get functionality into the software to act like a real forum.
    Drupal IS a Content Management System written in PHP code the same as most popular forum software packages. More and more sites are giving up on the smaller forum software and are migrating to Drupal. The Drupal site now provides migration aids from PhpBB , Vbulletin and many other packages. While, a Drupal based site can provide marketing tools, it does so the same way the other forum software does. Most other forum sites depend on the ability to load marketing pages. The major advantage of Drupal is that it provides for Multi-Site support. That is key to any site that is growing. I belong to many different forum software forums (PhpBB,PunBB, Invision Power, Vbulletin,etc) and the one limitation they all have is the lack of multi-site support.
    Spine-Health started to separate the Forums from the Main part of the Site months ago. But it became clear that further separation was needed based on member numbers. With Drupal, a database can be shared/duplicated/ or replicated across sites. This ability would provide for load balancing of members. Spine-Health is not there yet, but having features that for example could isolate members by geographical regions is something no other software can provide. Its a big positive to see Spine-Health grow so rapidly. I've said this before when people have asked WHY the change? My response has been Its better to be prepared and have the base system running then to be in a panic reaction mode when the numbers get too high to handle

Its good to take a look at Spine-Health Objectives:

Our goal is to provide you with a comprehensive, highly informative and useful resource for understanding, preventing, and seeking appropriate treatment for back and neck pain and related conditions.
    Spine-health.com is the only spine medicine portal that supports the education of patients through a combination of:
    100% original, peer-reviewed content
    Comprehensive information and services
    Independence
    What is the business model?
    Spine-health.com is built around the foundation of providing clear, non-commercial patient education. We don't charge patients to use this site. Doctors support this site by subscribing (for an annual fee) to provide patient education to their patients and for a web page in our directory; commercial companies advertise and/or list their clinical trials on our site for a fee; and we have teamed up with Google.com to participate in Google's AdSense program (whereby Google's advertisers can advertise on some pages of our site).

So you can see there is a lot more to Spine-Health then many people realize. The patient forums are what most people associate with Spine-Health.
    The Drupal software has more support and open ended coding that most other forum software. It is the most comprehensive in terms of functions. However, bare bones Drupal is NOT very user friendly. But thats to the development team at Spine-Health, many modifications and tweaks went into the base to make it 'behave' similar to the way the PunBB software did on the older Spine-Health site.

The completed migration was in my opinion, the first step that was required. Now, its time to fine tune it, make additional changes to address many of the members concerns. I do not believe that every concern can be addressed. There will be functions that are just not available in this new environment. But as I said before, the groundwork has been set. In my 34+ years in the computer software and hardware business I know the value of building on a solid foundation.
    This is what Spine-Health has just accomplished.
  • Ron,

You are defending the site and the company as a whole. No need. I understand they have a business model to pursue. That wasn't what I was talking about. The first person to post from SH asked -->> "Do you like the new message board?"

Has nothing to do with all the things SH is doing. Simple question with a simple answer. No. The forum software lacks considerably. It does not compare well to the other forums I read. Those are vBulletin and phpBB. I don't care what programming language they are written in. Not relevant. The user interface on this site is poor. The forum I use a lot has excellent user controls on marking off posts and keeping up with threads or sections of interest.

We had this discussion on the old site. And nothing on the old site changed when it came to this issue. The forum remained unchanged from the user interface.

Graham
    Graham, yes I understand. I was providing rationale to two statements so that everyone could understand.

I have also used all the other bulletin boards, some have great points, some fail in other ways. Many times its a matter of personal taste.

You have not seen anything as to what Drupal is capable of.
    The efforts to date are to attempt to 'mimic' the old Spine-Health. The Drupal system could have been ready much earlier if it wasnt for the work put in to make it easier for the migration.. Which was a good thing.

I really dont know how much of the Drupal power we will see here, only time will tell. The emphasis right now is on addressing as many of the member concerns as possible.

Trust me, the way forum sites are heading by 2010, almost all will have migrated to Drupal. Only the smaller sites will remain on the older software, supported or not.
advertisement