Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had an MRI scan twice, given two different messages

I am a 24 year old male. I incorrectly lifted a bar at the gym in August 2013 and I felt it straight after. There were no immediate symptoms until September 2013 when I woke up with a frozen neck. At this time I didn't realise the gym incident could've caused this. I was diagnosed with torticollis, and took a week's worth of painkillers. The pain didn't go away, and I started physiotherapy until May 2014. The neck pain spread to my shoulders during this time. In June 2014 I lost my balance on a trampoline, and felt a lot of pain in my neck and spine. I was given diazepam (short-term) and visited a chiropractor for 8 sessions. The pain was almost relieved completely in my shoulders, but not my neck at all.

In August 2014 a doctor finally decided to send me for an MRI of my neck and shoulders. While awaiting results, I developed tingling and soreness in my arms and legs. My legs are sore, tight, and tender all of the time right now. When I received the results, I was shown I had a slipped disc in my neck (C6). I was told I would need steroid injections. I told the surgeon about my arms and legs, and he said he needed to treat the neck first to see if that was affecting my legs. Two weeks later (September 2014), I saw an anaesthetist who tested out my reflexes and he then sent me for a second MRI of my neck and upper back, as well as my lower back and my brain to rule out a neurologic disorder.

Results are back, everything is fine with my brain and spine. He says that my slipped disc is not prominent enough to cause this pain in my legs. Right now I feel achey, and I can't stand for longer than say 15 minutes without feeling discomfort. My job is to stand for 38 hours a week so I have been signed off for the last 6 weeks while this has been going on. What he has suggested is an injection into my facet joints. He doesn't think the disc is the reason for the pain. He thinks that my muscles have learnt to tense and tighten up due to the stress on my body. I have also suffered from a lot of stress and anxiety in the past year from certain traumatic events, which could be a factor as I am often on 'alert' mentally. If the injection doesn't give me instant relief in my neck and legs, he wants to try injecting some muscle relaxants into my neck and shoulders.

I just wanted your opinions or thoughts on this matter. Is there anyone with a similar issue? I am just confused, as the surgeon said the slipped disc was the cause of pain, but the anaesthetist is certain it's not severe enough to be causing nerve issues. He thinks it's completely muscle related. I am taking his advice, and asking for physiotherapy treatment in the mean time to ease the tension in my legs, as I want to exercise and get back to work. Any thoughts at all? Anything I should be asking?