Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C4-C5 anterior cervical discectomy - spinal cord compression

I just had an anterior cervical discectomy on the 21rst august (almost a month ago)
I had a C4-C5 hernia which was compressing my spinal cord. I had difficulties walking, my legs felt week and shaky. I felt some numbness on my toes. I also had symptoms on my hands, with numbness and some pain.

I guess my legs feel already a little bit stronger and firmer. But very often I feel them very tense. Like if my muscles where very tight... And I keep feeling some tingling and the sensation of weak electric waves going through.

Could this be normal? How long will it take for my legs feel normal again?

Also, my arms feel tired and week sometimes.
I thought the symptoms where supposed to go away after surgery... I don’t know what to expect, what to consider ‘normal’.

• call your doctor's office and ask to speak to someone. My NS has a nurse available to answer questions by phone for all patients after surgery.

I had a four level ACDF with bone graft and hardware the day after you did and called a couple of weeks ago to ask about all of the strange sensations I've been experiencing during recovery. In my case she said it's all normal.

I've been lucky, my pre-op symptoms are essentially gone but other oddities have taken their place. I was told it has to do with the nerves essentially coming back to life after being pinched for almost two years. I was also told that the longer the time between the onset of my symptoms and surgery can make a difference.

I have had strange muscle spasms and am on Percocet for pain relief (originally given OcyContin but they made me hallucinate) and Soma for the spasms.

Keep in mind, this is just what she told me as it pertains to my symptoms and my surgery.

Hopefully your surgeon's office has someone who can answer your questions and address your concerns over the phone.

Take care.
    4 level ACDF, C3-C7 with iliac bone crest graft with hardware on August 22nd.
  • so much for your answer.

My biggest concern is that I find the symptoms I’m having so weird… I assumed I would simply begin to feel better after surgery, even if it was a slow process.
    I didn’t expect to start having these strange sensations like the ‘tension’ in my legs and even in my arms (right side is worse). And I still haven’t recovered de firmness of my movements… Sometimes my legs and arms still feel ‘shaky’.
    I don’t know if this is normal because ma doctor haven’t explained a lot to me. He always says the minimum possible and I feel really insecure now. I don’t know what to expect.
    What are you supposed to feel after your spinal cord has been decompressed?