Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Vehicle Accident

I have read some of you guys threads.

I am in a world of hurt.

Girlfriend rolled my truck and I was ejected from the passenger side window.

Broke my back, my neck, my right arm at the shoulder, my right femur bone, both my knees and my left leg had multiple compound fractures from the knee to the ankle,

Not having much success with the pain management or......lack there of I should say.

Contemplating suicide but.....I have children. I think my daughter and my 4 yr old will take it the hardest. Oh God I love them so much.

Just wanted someone to know.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I am so sorry for the pain you are enduring. How long ago was your accident? What has been done thus far to address your pain? What is your Dr's treatment plan? I'm sorry for all of the questions, but answers to these will help other members get a more clear picture of where you are in your recovery and what might be ahead, so that we can offer you some support. Do you have a Pain Management Dr on your treatment team? If not, I urge you to find one, as he/she may be best able to help you with your pain management needs.

It looks like Liz, one of the moderators here, has posted some suicide hotline numbers for you. Most suicide hotlines allow you to be anonymous. I am also urging you to find a good therapist to help support you through this. Going through a traumatic event, like your car accident, obviously requires a good team to meet you medical needs, but it is as important to have a professional support you with the mental/emotional needs that result from experiencing a trauma. While that person can help in a variety of different ways with symptoms of post traumatic stress, which can and often does result from a car accident as serious as yours, they can also help you with the depression, anxiety, and stress that are part and parcel of chronic pain.

I am in the mental health field, working with children and their families. I'm sure it is very hard for you to know that your children see you in such great pain, but losing a parent at such a young age is a trauma that will follow them for years to come. I know you do not want that for your children. I cannot begin to imagine the pain you have and are suffering, but please try to find a pain management doctor to help you. If you are already seeing a PM Dr & he/she is not managing your pain appropriately (I would say that if you are at the point if contemplating suicide, they are not), please find another PM Dr who will. I'm sure other members will tell you that it sometimes takes going to a few different ones before you find one that you can work with to reach your pain management goals.

Finally, I'm glad you reached out on this site. The members and moderators here have a lot of information from their own experiences that may help you. In addition to that, I have found the support & encouraging words from them to be a Godsend. While we are not a suicide hotline (& I must stress the importance of using one of those numbers Liz provided), we are here to listen and try to support you as you recover. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    8/28/14 Discectomy, Laminectomy, Foraminotomy L5-S1
    9/15/15 Surgical Debridement of infected surgical incision & drain seroma; wound vac applied
    10/21/14 L5-S1 Osteomyelitis & Discitis; 10/23/14 Bone & Tissue Biopsy = MRSE
  • I have 2 small kids too. They're watching me recover. You mean the world to them.. even broken right now... They will watch you and even if you think they're too small to get it...you'd be suprised. One day you'll be like their legos and get all of the pieces together... But you have to start with one brick. That's how I explained it to my kids. With legos.

Stay strong. Cry if you need to. Allow yourself to go through the stages of grief and get some people in your corner to help with the pain so you can see clearer.

• Thank you folks for your kind words.

Sorry about my terrible post and the lack of info therein. Hurting particularly bad this a.m.

Our wreck was on 1-11-14

The trauma team kept me in a coma for 5 weeks while they performed all my surgeries. Then I was moved to the surgical trauma ward for the next 7 weeks. Then I was moved to a Rehabilitation Hosp for physical therapy.

After all that I was sent home, well, kinda. I moved into a handicap accessible micro-tel where I have lived every since by myself. Girlfriend left me. Children went to live with their mother.

I'll have to post later - pain is getting unbearable

• There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.....Hold on tight, it does get better.

Welcome. Please check your inbox.

4 Level (C5-T2) Posterior Instrumented Fusion w/ Decompression (Car Accident in January 2014)
    And I can't forget that I'm not ashamed, to be the person that I am today.