Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My story for those that are new

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in New Member Introductions
My story started about 10 years ago, I started have lower back pain that would burn and throb constantly, I didn't see any doctors until the pain would run down my buttocks and into my lower legs, first I saw a chiro (BIG MISTAKE) made things worse, :( went to my family doc she sent me for PT, :sick: that made things so much more intense, so she sent me to a NS, since I had tried all options......cold/heat, tens, therapy etc. he sent me to a PM before we would look into surgery, I had every type of injection known to man and the marks all over my butt and lower back to prove it! When I went way over the amount of injections one person is suppose to have in a lifetime, he suggested the NS again! So we opted for surgery a minamally invasive surgery from the back only and he had me on tons of meds after I was on Mophine, Oxycontin, Vicodin, Neurontin, Lyrica I was so doped up for the first 3 months. Well after 6 months and no relief we did MRI'S, CT scans, and 1 other test I forgot the name of, all showed no fusing at all!!!! :( So he had me wait it out and see what time would do...........but after 1 1/2 years of constant 9-10 level pain and not being able to work or do any of my normal activities and no answer from him I fired him and went on the look for a new NS. After more testing we decided to go in and see what all he did because the MRI and CT scan showed a bunch of messed up screws :jawdrop: (in sideways resting on nerves) tons of scar tissue and many bone spurs. So I just had surgery on April 18th 2008 (see my siggy for type) and so far so good (knock on wood) the pain and numbness went away immediately,and the pain I have now is just surgery pain so I'm hoping and praying this one will be the golden ticket! I am 43 happily married for 16 years, I have 2 teenagers :P and 3 cats, my hobbies now are NASCAR, watching my kids play sports, gardening, and swimming image(hopefully i can soon)Oh and I'm a cheezhead and love the Packers! LOL

• Feel free to ask me anything about the "minamally invasive" procedure because not many doctors offer this or have experience in this way~ ;)
  • Cherry

Good to hear your story! What an absolute ordeal! I am assuming that the first surgeon did not know what they were doing?

Glad to hear that you found someone who could fix you. Hope your recovery continues to go well!

Take care.
  • Correct the surgeon had no clue! he took some X-tra training not even 6 months worth to learn the techniques, and that is somehitng that needs alot of xtra schooling, he nicked 2 peoples atreries during surgery and they died and many have lawsuits because they are in wheelchairs, so I consider myself lucky! :P

• Holy cow! :jawdrop: That's utterly rediculous. Those are the kind of stories that make me fear even going to doctors. Best of luck with the recovery....I hope things continue to improve!

• Wow.

I am so happy that your new surgery seems to have worked.

Thanks for sharing,

• Wow Cherry, that's pretty scary your first surgeon! Thank God you're ok now and found a better and a real surgeon.

You sound like you're doing ok.. Keep it up... Are you getting any PT right now?

Best of luck to you and take it easy and don't rush anything right now.. Patience here is the name of the game...

Take care and I'm glad you're doing fine..

Lotus :)
  • Hi Lotus thanx for replying, no PT as of yet I'm way to newly post, he says not until about the 6th month mark.
  • Wow...Cherry...seems as though your a posterchild for why people are afraid of surgery.Thank God you are on the right track now. May you continue to make progress.
    I guess I am Blessed. i had 4 level fusion and laminectomy and seem to be improving with every passing day. Greatest thing is the leg pain was gone immediately. My life had been on hold for about a year with the last 9 months the worst.
    That is why I encourage people to research as much as possible and get several opinions.
  • What a story...I am very sorry for all that you have been through. Insane!!!

• I started pt when I was 4 wks post op then after my first pt visit at home I had problems and my dr stopped me from continuing- then 1 1/2 month later I started pt outside and it has been the best thing that I ever did. I'm also doing water exercises and will try to start swimming next week.
    But I guess different doctors have different opinions on PT. I know some people here never had any..

Anyway, wishing you this surgery is your golden ticket! That's what I pray for myself since this is my 3rd one within 26 yrs.

Lotus :)
  • Hi Cherry,

You sure have been through alot, what a story. You take it easy and recover!

• Thanx Lotus and Smurf~~~