Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Falling before ACDF

Hi all.this is my first time here. I'm a 65-year-old woman who has had ACDF in her future for a while. However, I think things are going to speed up now, as I have fallen three times in the last seven weeks, this last time two days ago -I broke my wrist.

I am Seeing my neurosurgeon this Monday -I expect I have drop foot? At least that's what I think. It's always my right foot that I trip over. And this falling is getting pretty old.

I've been working hard on getting healthy prior to surgery, and have dropped 45 pounds. Also been building my bones with calcitonin and calcium etc.

Just looking for some advice and comraderie. I haven't seen a whole lot of YouTube videos post op with people my age, however that could just be a generational thing – I'm not inclined to do a video so maybe most people my age aren't.

I'm hoping my surgery will be in October, so if there is an October buddies forum at any point I would love to be in it. Looking forward to any kind of reply,

yours truly, Barbara

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 09/20/2014 - 12:18 AM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi there. My name is Mary I had surgery on the 11th of September. I was extremely worried about having the surgery. My worries were for nothing. I got along extremely well. By the way, I am 55 years old. My biggest problem was I fell 8 days after surgery. Scared me to death. Just wanted to give you a little bit of advice. Have a recliner. Have lots of pillows.shop ahead of time 4 your soft food. Pudding, icicle pops, smoothie shakes, and get milk of magnesia, and some magnesium supplement, which will help you go to the bathroom without straining. the best advice I can give you is to have your loved ones there with you at least for the first 10 days. good luck and I would enjoy texting back and forth with you.

• Hi Mary. Thank you so much for your response! I must admit I like hearing your age… It helps because all of the videos that I've viewed on YouTube are people much younger then me. I have decided it's a generational thing – I'm not inclined to post a video on YouTube about my surgery, but younger people are.

my surgery is scheduled for November 11. That will be about six months after this whole thing was first diagnosed. I have lost a lot of weight in between then and now – in the hopes that that helps my recovery as well.

Your tips are well taken thank you. I did buy a lounge chair as my gift to myself a few months ago in anticipation of this surgery . The advice on the soft food is a great one. And yes I would like to communicate with you to find out how your recovery is going – you will be two months ahead of me all the time. I can Give you support while you are recovering right now, and then you will be a great resource for me as I approach this. I am setting up lots of help. I have no idea how to do the text thing but I just noticed that there is a link about text formats here so I am going to check that out. I hope you are doing good now that you are three weeks out.

I am dictating this because of course my right wrist is in a cast. And I scheduled the surgery for two weeks after it's off, that so that I can get my house in order before the surgery. Anyhow let's give this connection a shot! Barbara