Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Surgery

shadowluckysshadowlucky Posts: 1
edited 09/21/2014 - 6:03 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Please help! I do not know what to do. As I sit here this morning drinking my coffee and writing this, I am wondering what in the world I am going to do.

I had ACDF surgery with a titanium plate and four screws in March of 2013 and here it is September 2014 and the pain is as bad and worse than the original surgery.

To begin, I had a herniated disk at the C5-C6 level. The surgeon went in and replaced the disk with a cadaver bone, a titanium plate and four screws. After the surgery, the surgeon said it took three hours instead of two because of all the bone spurs. I went home and did as they told me to do, everything, right down to when I could shower, but the pain was excruciating. As time passed, I thought it would get better. I didn't know what was normal after the surgery. I couldn't lift my arms for two weeks to get my nightgown on after I could shower. My husband had to help me as I cried and cried. He got scissors and cut down the front of the gowns so that I could get them on. My right arm was in more pain than my left but both sides hurt and my chest area in the front under the collarbone was hurting and still is to this day so badly I have never experienced this type of pain in my life and I had had a baby and been through basic training in the service but nothing compared to this. My right thumb would not work. I couldn't grip anything. When it was time to go to the surgeon for my first checkup, they postponed it a week. I was so upset because I couldn't imagine this type of pain after him telling me I would be up and about and could possibly be back to work in two weeks.

My goodness, I couldn't even get out of a chair in two weeks let alone thing of going back to work. Six weeks went by and every time I went to my surgeon I complained of the pain but he shrugged it off. I would tell him how badly it hurt and I would ask him why and to his reply shrugging his shoulders, "I don't know." He said after six months check that it was fused by I was still in so much pain.

Unfortunately, he has shrugged it off and to this day still does, so I went to another surgeon. He didn't say much. Just sent me to a neurologist. The neurologist said that I would never get a true reading with an MRI of that area because of the titanium plate. By now I am depressed, and in so much pain. I go to a spine and pain doctor. I've had some trouble with the left elbow and left hip so I've had a few epideral injections but he will not touch the neck area. He sent me to this surgeon to begin with and I think he knows something is wrong although he will not discuss it with me.

I don't know what to do. I am back to work but on pain medication and antidepressants and still live in pain in the back of the neck, the chest area and down the left arm and elbow. I did physical therapy six months after the surgery because I could not shake off the pain so the surgeon did send me to therapy. I did therapy for 14 weeks altogether. And never missed a day.

Here it is one year and six months later. I go to work, I come home, my husband cooks and I eat and go to bed. I live this way daily. I never go anywhere or do anything but back and forth to work because I know I have to do it to live but I would not be doing it if I had any other choice because I live in pain and cannot enjoy any part of life anymore.

I know something is wrong. I know although they have done an MRI and an x-ray that something is not right. I would not live with this pain everyday if it was okay. Something isn't right. I don't know what is wrong but I live with ice packs on my upper chest under the collarbone daily. It swells especially on the left side under the collarbone and the pain on the back of my neck is excruciating at times.

Why won't someone listen to me. Why can't someone help me or fix me. I go to the doctors and go everywhere they tell me to go when I am referred on but it has just made a vicious cycle right back to my psychiatrist. I'm not nuts. It's not in my head. She can talk to me all she wants but nothing is going to make this pain go away unless someone figures out what is wrong instead of passing me on from one doctor to another doctor to another. Please help me. If a surgeon is hearing this, please tell me what to do. Please!

• I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I'm amazed that no one has stepped up to help you with this. You know something is wrong and yet no one listens? I don't know where you are from, if your choices of doctors are limited. I will pray for you to get rid of this pain and that someone can help you. I am so sorry. I wish there was this magic button that takes the pain away. Granted if there was one, we wouldn't have needed surgery in the first place, right?
    Tracie C
  • GropmGGropm Posts: 20
    edited 09/28/2014 - 9:15 AM
    @SHADOWLUCKY, It is so sad to hear how much pain you are in and that you are not getting any help. I'm not sure where you live but if you are anywhere near California, I would recommend EDITED He did my surgery and also does a lot of "corrective" surgery on patients seen by other surgeons. My Internal Medicine doctor told me EDITED gets referrals often from surgeons who have patients they don't want to touch. Maybe he could help you. EDITED
    Good luck. I sure hope you get some help and relief soon!

Post edited to remove physician name and medical facility name. Posting of physician names and medical facility names is NOT permitted on Spine Health.
  • NewsgirlNNewsgirl Posts: 60
    edited 09/28/2014 - 4:47 PM
    That sounds miserable. Sorry.
    C5/6 herniation, type 2 diabetes, generalized anxiety disorder