Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

YEAH!!! Had my first PT, went GREAT!!!

lynnsyllynnsy Posts: 197
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
First of all, this is all so confusing, not to mention having to start all over after post around 250 posts on old web-site. Plus I liked the other smiley faces better. These ones are just wierd. :sick:

Anyway, anyone who knows me knows I'm 20 weeks post op from a three level fusion with a NS. He wouldn't let me start PT until I was almost all the way fused. (which is a good thing and conservative) He didn't want my screws popping out, and wanted almost a solid fuse before starting my PT. I've been walking 1-1/2 miles a day for about 13 weeks now everyday, and was just released last week from my NS to get going on PT!!! YIPPY!!!

My PT couldn't believe my enthusiasm and how happy I was... She said she's never had a patient so excited about PT. I told her, "you lay around for 20 weeks doing absolutely nothing, besides walking, watching tv, internet, and eating, eating and eating, and see how you feel?

I just wanted everyone to know it was absolutely WONDERFUL!!! I'm so excited to start doing these core strengthening excercises. She said I'm doing very well for 52 female. She said a lot of people in your situation just give up, because they just can't handle it, and are messed up the rest of their lives, or need surgery again,....eeeeewwww :? NO WAY!!! I'll do anything she tells me. She said she's going to do a lot of pilates with me too.

Anyway after the excercising session, she used one of those electrical heat deep penetrating things on my surgery area. The funny part was trying to get me to lay on my belly. I haven't done that since before my injury. :P We FINALLY got me into position, she did her electrode thing, IT FELT SO AWESOME!!!!! She did it for about 15 minutes, I was in heaven!!! Then it was time to get up, HA!!! :) It was near to impossible! I told her to call my hubby and tell him "he wouldn't be seeing me for a few days, and bring me some pj's." We were both laughing histerically trying to get me back on my feet. It was like "I've fallen, and I can't get up". It took us quite a while, but all in all IT WAS WONDERFUL!!

I was pretty sore this morning. I think it was from the episode of trying to get off the table though. But I charged on through it today, did my excercises, and 100% ready to get my "normal" life back. I am going to beat this!!! I will win!!!

• Good deal Lynssy! I hopr that it gets better every single day!
  • lynnsy,
    I was so excited to read your post. I am almost in my 7th week of recovery from a 360 L5-S1 fusion, and get to start PT next week. I was very happy when my OS said I could start. He said it is very rare to start PT so soon, but I seemed ready!

I'm glad to see your PT went well.....
    take care, stay strong,
  • Lynnsy

I just started PT yesterday too. I am 3 months 2 level ALIF and I felt so good when I left! I was able to stretch so much out that I have not been able to stretch on my own.

It was very reassuring to know that I can move and not damage the work that has been done.

Good luck with your PT
  • For my turn to start PT, I see my doctor Monday for my "almost" 8 week visit and I have my fingers crossed he's going to let me start PT then....I need a reason to get my lazy butt out of bed some days and a reason not to over-do it the other days!

Good Luck and Congrats!

• I too go for my 7 week check next week....tell me what kinds of things they had you do in PT? What kind of stretches did they give you for your low back?
  • That's awesome Lynnsy. Your mindset will be the best part of a successful recovery.

I was like you, just loved going to PT, but I missed out on the nice relaxing stuff like that deep heat thing because of the staph infection.

But the core stuff is awesome, as a matter of fact I just bought a yoga ball and do it at home now. It's a great workout. Spicey and Lotus taught me some additional exercises to do on the ball and I just love it.

Perhaps you can do the same, of course with the permission of your dr. and PT.

So glad to hear you are having fun with PT, congratulations!

• Carol, I don't know if you were talking to RottenBrat or me about what excercises their having me do. I'm at 20 weeks post-op from a three level fusion. It took FOREVER to finally be approved for PT, but I'm finally fused enough to go for it!!! :)

She has me doing slow hamstring stretches, pelvic tilt knees bent, buttock lift, glueteus medius level one, piriformis stretch (what?)only with knee going out, not in, lower abdominals level one, sitting straight in a chair abdominal stregthening, excersise bike slowest speed 5 minutes, buttock lifts lying on floor. Each one I'm only allowed 10 reps, the leg ones are only three reps each.

So it's ganna be slow. Thats ok, I'll do what she says as long as she keeps doing that massaging thing to me, oooooouuuuuu, thats heaven... I could just go for that for my 45 minute PT and nothing else and be happy...