Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone. I have posted about my partner who is 49 and his spine problems asking about his upcoming spinal fusion surgery in a years time, his sex drive problems and meds and now I have another question. He is only 49 but he recently developed shingles. He is on oxy 20mg 2 times a day, 75mg lyrica twice a day and 10mg endone twice a day. He has no appetite half the week and has lost 12 pounds in the last month and has constant constipation often not going until day 8 with no relief from medication from the pharmacy. I am curious to know how many people have gone on to develope this shingles or some other thing like that from being on these meds? Is it just he is run down? Is this a common problem? Is it just because he smokes is on meds and dosn't eat all that well?

• Get a doc to look at him again for this specifically. Ask about Lactulose for the constipation.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/23/2014 - 6:09 AM
    can develop shingles. It is the same virus that causes chicken pox and one out of three people will develop shingles in their lifetime. If he gets it again, then he needs to see his primary within 72 hours of onset for the medication that can ease the symptoms and pain.
  • Constipation is a common side effect from narcotic medications. I've reached a point where I can (mostly) control it with diet. Lots of fresh fruit & veg, fruit juice, no processed food, only a little lean meat or fish, lots of fiber etc. I take magnesium suppliments & very hot Epsom salt (magnesium) baths. Magnesium is good for nerve pain & has the common side effect of helping things 'go'. He needs to keep moving...no matter how hard it is. Constipation can be very dangerous. People die!!
    Your poor husband is really in the wars lately & from all of your posts he sounds like he's allowed himself to slip into that dark place. Depression & chronic pain go hand in hand. I've been there! He needs to find a way to get past this. Depression is just as crippling as pain & has a way of making you just let things go. A spiney who isn't active & doesn't take care of themselves is headed for so many more problems.
    He wants to go into surgery as healthy & strong as possible. It will effect his recovery. He's lucky to have such a supportive wife. Sometimes men will be men (sorry! No insults intended) this isn't like the 'normal' wife nagging about diet, exercise & smoking. Being the partner of a spiney must be incredibly hard, I can only imagine! He can't spend the next year like this.

I'm sorry... You've probably answered this already. Why is he waiting a year for surgery?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    It requires 2 outbreaks before insurance will cover the vaccination for most insurance companies. It can be expensive. I have watched my sister suffer numerous outbreaks until the vaccination, Since then there have been no more. Speak to the Dr about the vaccination. Usually the patient will have to have a hand written script to take to a hospital pharmacy then the vaccination will be kept in a cooler until given by your pcp. I think it has to be given within 24 hrs of pick up. I remember the tremendous pain she was under at each outbreak and her insurance company refused to pay for it so she payed cash. I think it was around 400.00. Worth every penny she spent,
    Good luck
  • if caught in the first few days there is an expensive anti viral drug they can give that will help curve the pain, and hopefully the duration of the shingles. Mine were face shingles yeah, lucky me, only 4 large ones welts starting in an angle towards my eye... it is one of the most dangerous forms, as it can make you blind if the shingle forms in the eye. I was super freaked, and perhaps in the middle of all of it, I will start with it started with pimple like formation, all 1/2 inch away from each other in a nerve line... It got very bad in the middle of it like after the first week, so bad i ended up in the ER, face completely swollen distorted on the side of the shingles, never saw glands like that and I have had my share of sore throats... and they kept on saying don't let it end up in the EYE yeah I have magical controls... Lots of ice, flu like feeling, really couldn't narrow down why I ended up with it , cause I wasn't stressed, who knows. They say it isn't contageous, but if you ask me I think it is, cause I was in contact with my aunt 6 months earlier who had it... i think mine was unlying but I am not a doc so glad its done with, no scars, just the horrible memory and being in about a less than 5% group since face shingles are rare and my age