Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frustrated over neck pain

I started having headaches about 3 years ago, was in a stressful nursing job and thought nothing of it. It eventually turned into daily headaches, popping and cracking in my cervical spine area, tightness across my shoulders. Broke down and had an MRI showing bulging from C3-C7. I can't really say I have excruciating pain at this point, but still daily headaches, knots across my shoulder, shoulder blade area about once a week gets knots that my husband can feel, and about a month ago my right deltoid area got really sore. My range of motion in that arm is now limited. I occasionally have a tingling in my right fingers. The frustrating part is that two Doctors have told me that my symptoms are not due to my bulging discs. However when I do any type of activity, my arms and shoulders get so weak and spasm, that I cannot tolerate activity like I used to. Does anyone else have any of these symptoms? I just want someone to tell me I am not crazy!!!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I went through a few different doctors with out getting much help before getting a diagnosis. I don't know when your last MRI was done but it sounds like you need another one. I had all of those symptoms for a couple of years of flare-ups with out getting much help besides pumping me with drugs. The headaches were daily though no matter what. I started seeing a chiropractor earlier this year. It helped most of my issues with having adjustments and massages but not my neck. IT took him a couple of months of trying different things before ordering an MRI and then referring me to an neuro surgeon. I had herniated discs pressing on my spiral cord and nerves. Everyone is different so the Dr.'s assuming that this isn't from the bulging discs are not doing their jobs. Since you are in the medical field, I'm sure you know that. I hope you get some relief soon.
    Tracie C
  • I had a very similar thing happen to me as well. After giving birth to my second child, I had chronic headaches. Sometimes they were dull and achy, and sometimes they felt like tension headaches. Other days I would get what are called ice pick headaches and those would stop me in my tracks. Then after exhausting my options to deal with them, I went to a chiropractor to see if that would help. Well it did and it didnt. After getting adjusted my headaches did actually go away completely. But unfortunately the pain just traveled to my neck. I found out through x-rays and 2 MRI's that I have degenerative disk disease, disk bulges in my C4-C6, a reverse lordosis, and compression on my spinal cord. I am going to a pain management clinic and seeing a neuro-surgeon after getting epidural injections that did not help. I hope that you find some answers on how to fix your neck. You are not alone, and its comforting to know that Im not either.
    Ashley Miller