Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF bowel issues anyone?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I know that some of you have problems with your bowels post op constipation etc. When did your problems resolve?

I am 3 months post op and I don't know if I am having trouble due to the surgery of something else. I still have problems with constipation and take Colace daily. I have lots of pain on the left side of my abdomen. I can feel everything moving through (sorry if this is too gross!).
Tonight I have lots of pain and can feel hard places on my left side and I am not constipated. My stomach also looks bloated tonight and it has not looked this way for the last 2 months.

Do any of you ALIF people have this or a similar issue going on or did your's resolve? My belly is soft but it is tender. It is to the left of my incision. My surgeon didn't seem to think any of this was unusual but I am tired of my bowels consuming my time if you know what I mean!

Thanks for any insight!

• I go through a lot of the same thing. I get so constipated even with a good diet and colace..I get very constipated. Then feel awful! So I end up taking a laxative, which can take more than a day to work...but then I don't want to be to far from the potty for a least a day! I think between the surgon squishing everything and the pain meds it may go on for a while.
    Anna :(
  • I'm 4 1/2 monts post ALIF, but I've not really had too many bowel issues thankfully. I was off the Opiate drugs 4 weeks post op which dont help constipation, and luckily have been able to be fairly active, which I think helps keep things moving. I am still very tender in spots around the incision site and my surgeon told me that it would be up to 12 months post op before that was back to normal :O
    Try to drink plenty of water and eat high fibre foods and hoprfully your bowels will sort themselves out soon. Take care

Sue :)
  • I have been on heavy duty pain meds form over 4 years so I sure can relate....I've tried pills (colace) over the counters, roughage, fruits, veggies you name it I tried it, but just recently my sis turned me onto Fiber One bars, they are in the granola bar section aand actual very tasty!!!! Only down fall is............GAS :jawdrop: But I'll take that over the discomfort of being all bloated~ best of luck to ya
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi 5 kids,
    read post #12 over in lower back pain forum.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Ok my bowels are moving just fine yesterday and today and yet this ache on my left side remains almost constant. It is not effecting my appetite but is this steady ache between my hip bone and rib cage. I was so hoping that it would feel better after getting up or going to the bathroom. None of which has changed the pain.

I am thinking of going to my PCP this coming week. Not sure what else to do???
  • 5kids, It sounds like it's due to your pain medications. We all have the same problem. :P I tried everything from V-8 fusion, to Fiber One bars, to stool softners... Nothing worked until my husband was perscribed to take "Fish Oil with Mega 3" because he has high blood pressure, and it's good for your circulatory system, brain and heart. I thought,"what the heck, another pill isn't going to kill me, besides, it's good for me".

It was no more than two days, and I've been regular ever since. YEAH!!! ;) I take 2000mg per day, one in morning, one before bed. (sounds like alot but that's how they come 1000mg each). Give it a try.... :)
  • I have the same problem, I can feel it moving around and I am always distended even when im not constipated, I have this weird feeling when I walk that things are going to fall out of me...lol...I have alot of pressure down there.
  • I am 5 days post ALIF and ADR and it is pretty tough. I take Colace and try to eat a pretty balanced diet. I also take fish oil so maybe that is what has helped me with my BM's but they are still difficult with a large incision in my belly.

I get some strange pains through my pelvis, down the inside of my thigh to the inside of my knee. It's almost like the artery is causing the pain but I am not sure. I'll ask my Dr this week.

Make sure to ask your Dr about the pain near your incision and keep working towards a successful recovery!