Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worried about withdrawl

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Pain Medications
Since My surgery on April 15 I have been on either Percs or vicodin. My doctor doesn't give me refills instead when I am running low I call his office, they check my records and he will give me another script. For the past 2 weeks I have been taking 3 Percodans a day. I called his office on Wed. because I was running low and nobody was in. I called yesterday and the doctor never called me back. I called today and told them that I was almost out and they promised me the doctor would call me back and give me a new script. Well he didn't call me back and now I have to wait till Monday. I am out of meds and I'm worried that I will go through withdrawls because I have been on painkillers for two months straight now. Any advice on what I can do if it gets bad? I've heard horror stories about withdrawls. Please help.

• Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I sure hope you give your doc a hard time for this! I have seen tons of posts from people in the same situation that you are in and they go to the ER. Does the doc have an emergency answering service? If so, I would have him paged. It is not like you waited until the last minute to contact him. It is his fault for not returning your call as promised. I would have no problem having him paged if I were you. If that is not an option do not hesitate to go to the ER if needed. You may experience physical withdraw symptoms and some can be dangerous. Please keep us posted on how you make out.
  • Thank you for the reply Paul. I don't have any left. I took the last one at about 3pm today. My doctor has never failed to call me back so I thought I would be ok with the perc situation. I take them because I still have a lot of back pain from my fusion. I also take Skelaxin for spasms and gabapentin for the nerve pain. I wish I could take hot baths but I would never be able to get out of the tub from the horizontal position. I think I'll try gel packs that I can heat in the microwave. I had no plans for this weekend so I can spend it in bed if I have to. I guess if I do get some withdrawl symptoms I can take it for a couple of days. I've been through much worse for the past 3 years.

Good luck to you to! Carrie
  • Thanks pain. My husband is a Paramedic so he is going to keep track of my vitals just in case. I don't think my doctor has a paging service. When I call during non office hours the machine says if it is an emergency go to the ER. If it gets bad I will go. Thanks for your concern and I'll keep you posted.

• Boy these posts are coming in fast. I appreciate everyones advice and concern. It makes me want to cry. I called walgreens at 8 tonight and no medicatiions for me there. Like I said before My doctor has always called me back so I don't know what happened this time. May be his staff isn't doing there job.

The best to you to! Carrie
  • I hope for your own sake that this is all that is happening. To me it sounds like either he wants to cut you off or he does not want to be responsible for doing your prescriptions. My surgeon gave me fair warning before he cut me loose so I had a Pain Clinic all ready lined up.
    Please keep in touch with me at anytime you want.
  • Not sure if you will have the w/d after only 2 months but if you do and I have been there.....do you have any anxiety pills..xanax or such??? They will help a lot because the anxiety is probably the worst part of w/d. If it does get bad like everyone says got to the ER.

• It sure does suck to rely upon a DOC for meds , when the doc himself has never had chronic pain or has to take meds or depend on anohter human for his meds. anyway I ran out of morphine one day but had actually called it in 5 days before, and the doc never WROTE the script till the next week of course i have to get a written each time i need a refill and then go pick it up each month, it really sucks to have to wait for the doc to respond. I always try to get my refills called in about 3 days before they run out.
  • Carrie,
    Perhaps the pharmacy can help you. They have different phone or fax #'s to use. I had this issue with another med and simply called my pharmacist and by 5:00 he had meds all ready to go. It is Saturday, so maybe it is worth a try.
    I so hate to hear this as this is not good practice and we the patient are put threw unnecessary withdraw, and i also agree with Dawn you might wan to start looking into pain management.
    Lay low, watch some movies and keep us posted. Also try an eat some good healthy food.
  • Hi everybody!
    Thank you for all your responses! I'm doing OK this morning. I have a little bit of shakiness so lets hope that does not get worse. My back hurts a lot but the pain goes away when I lay down. My question is --- How do I go about finding a good PM? I have a PPO so referals are not an issue as far as insurance goes but do PMs require a referal from my OP? How do I know if they a reputable? I live in Northwest Indiana so if any one in this area can refer me to someone that would be great. I can also go to any Chicagoland area PM. I wonder why none of my doctors in the past refered my to PM. 3 years and 5 doctors and not one recomended going to PM. I have really good insurance so maybe they wanted all the money.

• Carr,
    Since your husband is a paramedic ask him to ask the ER nurses or Doc's about a good PM, mine was recommended by my Neuro and I feel that it was the best decision that anyone has ever made for me! If not call your local hospital and try to get a referral and see what happens. But I am sure that your hubbie can get you a good one if he asks the nurses, they know everything! :D
  • Millie,I don't know why i didn't think of that. I don't know why my husband didn't think of that. Thanks for the advice. I've been doing pretty good today. In fact I feel clear head for the first time in awhile. I think I can go without pain meds as long as I stay in bad all day.Ha! Ha! That's no life to live. I guess it comes down to weighing the side effects of the meds to the activity being worth while. I know I really hurt when I am upright. I am also worried that tomorrow I will feel worse as far as withdrawl. When I quit smoking the first day wasn't so bad then the next day was horrible!!!!
  • carr,
    I asked some friends and then picked 3, made appointments. #1 I waited for over 5 hours, and other patients said that was normal. Not for me. I then went on to #2 and they were great. A bit of a drive, about 45 minuets. When he said WE WILL FIGURE THIS OUT, WE ARE IN IT TOGETHER I just knew I had found my doctor. #3 I canceled. It might be considered doctor shopping but you are darn straight, I needed to find where I was respected and not judged. Picking a doctor out of insurance list is like picking a puppy. I have 4 crazy dogs, so I knew I needed help. Help is what I get from my doctor. so that is just my experience. I just know that if I am paying and I am in pain, I have asay so in how I will be treated. That also in a major way includes the office and all the staff. I have found a gem. So keep your head up and you have some work to do, but you can do it. Good luck and if you can be picky, you are worth it.
  • Like I said I have pretty good insurance so I can be picky. Also my husband goes to 7 different area hospitals for his job so he can pick a lot of brains. Off the subject--how come underneath my screen name it doesn't say "Send PM" or "Add buddy" like it does for every one else? Did I do something wrong? Doesn't any one like Me?
  • lol....Don't worry, the icon's are there. We can see them.

No sense in making yourself a buddy or sending yourself a PM.
  • Again I feel stupid!!!! Hope I gave everyone a laugh! I'm still laughing at myself.
  • Didn't mean to make you feel stupid......

We are all learning this new site and all it's little quirk's.
  • Don't worry, like I said in another post, I do get blond moments even though I'm not blond. My mom was though.
  • yes, you probably will feel funny if not uncomfortable.
    you should not hesitate to go to the local medical er
    it is not fun to withdraw and totally uneccessary to suffer from this when help is around the corner, do what you gotta do and do it soon
  • denise do you know that this thread is from 2008? ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.