Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My hips hurt?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, had my microd on wednesday morning and my hips are hurting.. this is normal? probably because i must lay on one of my sides since stomach/back is not comfortable? Both my hips are very sore feeling..

But i think one good thing is that beyond the big wound on my back where they went in at, the rest of my back doesnt hurt when u poke at it.. Before my entire lower back was VERY sensitive and REALLY hurt even if u poked a little at it, be it on the spine or just on the sides (doctor said it was like my body making a protective cast around my injured disc).

• that happened to me after all 3 of my surgeries. Give it some time. Mine was from a nerve in my hips being pinched from laying on my stomach durring the surgery. a nice deep massage helped a ton.

Hope that helps

• I wouldn't be too worried about it just yet. You will have a lot of swelling and inflamation that will be making things uncomfortable and hurting.
    I am having a lot of pain in my right butt cheek so when I go to bed at night I ask the healing angels to give me a gentle massage as I sleep and I swear I can feel their lovely hands massaging me to sleep. 8)

Try it, you have nothing to loose ;)
    Blessings Sara
  • I had a microdiscectomy June 25 and the only area that is tender is my right hip, which is probably from laying/sleeping solely on my right side for 7 months. I probably didn't notice the pain before because of all my pre-op pain being on my left side. Also, the muscles at the sides of our hips and butt(glute max, glute med, glute min, piriformis, etc) help stabilize your pelvis, leg and sacrum, and are probably being used in a different way than before the surgery, especially if you are walking more now. Just my 2cents. Happy recovery:) :) :) :)
  • I think that is normal but you might run it by your doc, I know with both surgeries I sure had it, sleeping was so hard to get comfy because I'm a side sleeper~

• Thanks guys,..

Both my hips hurt and i rotate which side i sleep on multiple times during the nite because of this. I am slowly getting able to be able to lay more and more towards my back, but not quite flat on the back yet (that still hurts too much)..

The more i feel it the more i think its from sleeping on them constantly..

They hurt and are sore and it hurts to walk up stairs because of them.. hopefiully this all goes away or starts to go away next week else my doc will be hearing about it heh :) Im 32yrs old so i dont think its cuz i have bad hips.. at least i hope not!
  • I am having the "hip pain" also. My suregery was on 6/9 and then I spent a week in rehab. After about an hour to 1 1/2 hours I have to revolve to the other hip. It does make sure that I am awake to take that 4 hour pain pill.

PT and Home Health start on Monday so maybe they can help me. One of the best things I did was get the satin sheet. It does make the revolve easier.

Will be back online later.

Hope to hear from some of you.
  • My doctor is going to arrange for some PT for me next week. I didnt go to PT before the surgery because my disc herniation was so great, he thought PT would be of no use to me, surgery was really only option.

But I went and saw him friday and he noticed that i was still walking funny.. Probably because i have walked that way for ohh about 1-2 years since the pain started, and he wants me to walk normal again...

• I am 9 weeks out from L5/S1 and have hip aching off and on. At my eight week visit my doc asked if I was experiencing any back pain and I told him that the tops of my hips ache occassionally.

He said this is normal, as it is a result of the disc space compressing so much. He said it wouldn't be a constant pain...but on days where I am exceptionally active I would notice it.

He said I could treat it with OTC anti-inflammatories and if that didn't take care of it to use my prescription meds (anti-inflammatories.)