Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recent MRI findings??help with reading/translating results So much pain!!!

Help with MRI findings please. In pain. I had CES in L5S1 in sept 2012 surgery was delayed and I am left with foot drop I self catheterise. A partial but huge discectomy was done with some remaining disc. Re herniated and a fusion with cage, bone graft and plates February 2013. Never regained bladder control or use of left leg. MRI was performed because of increased pain, weakness and numbness. As well as the report I was sent an appointment for CT to assess movement of hardware. I am in a considerable amount of pain struggling to move or sleep and am worried because of previous Cauda Equina Syndrome. 60mg zomorph morning and night. Also Diazepam amytripiline severedol Here is the full scan report.

Clinical Details:

Cauda Equina since 2012 and lt sided weakness and foot drop
Now complaining of new symptoms of right sided weakness

?spinal cord injury

MRI Spine Lumbar/Sacral : There is metalwork in the L5 and S1 vertebral bodies, with sclerotic changes around the corresponding vertebral body endplates. Elsewhere, vertebral body and disc height is well-maintained and discs well hydrated.

There is a mild diffuse disc bulge at L3/4 extending slightly more to the left side, but no compression of thecal or exiting nerve roots. No significant thecal sac or nerve root compression is seen at L4/5. At the L5/S1 level, there is a central disc protrusion, just contacting ventral surface of thecal sac. On the T1-weighted images, there is some additional soft tissue around the left S1 nerve root within the lateral recess.

• Unfortunately, no one on this forum can provide you medical advice based on analyzing your MRI results. That is something that you should want your doctor to do. It's best this way anyhow since a doctor will map your symptoms to the MRI to form their diagnosis. An MRI in and of itself does not provide a full diagnosis.
    If you are not happy with what your current medical providers are telling you or suggesting, you may want to reach out to another medical professional who specializes in spine issues and get their take on the situation.
  • My friend recently had her 3rd fusion. She started to feel incredible pain in her groin & leg with a completely numb foot. Her MRI didn't reveal any real cause for these new symptoms. She had so many diagnostic tests to really pinpoint her problem. She had scans, another MRI, EMG, diagnostic injections etc. Her surgeon is great! Once you've got hardware in there it seems much harder to identify new pain generators. We would just be guessing from reading your MRI. Does your doc take the time to really listen to you, examine you & explain the results of your diagnostic tests? If not it could be worth finding a new one. When contemplating surgery it's always worth getting a second or third opinion.
    My friends doing really well now. They caught everything in time & her numbness has completely gone. She will always have some pain but it's so much more manageable now. We know our bodies, sometimes we have to push for prompt action, particularly with numbness & nerve pain. When's your next appointment to go over your MRI results? Waiting in pain is so stressful & stress makes pain worse! Ugh! I'm so sorry.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.