Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

31 year old L5/S1 Microdisectormy

hutson797hhutson797 Posts: 35
edited 09/25/2014 - 10:01 AM in Surgery Buddies
Hey guys/girls, looking for a buddy.

I did see the September buddies thing, And I will post there too. I was just looking for someone who may have been my age range and having the same type surgery. Sorry if this is redundant

31 year old male. Healthy & fit but the pain became too much. So after 2 years of ups and downs I decided to take the plunge this morning on surgery.(9/25)

L4/L5- L5/S1 microdisectormy . Operation went very well, doctor said there were no complications, I was strong and healthy and should recover well. Man I was nervous and shaky...that is until they hit me with that IV drug. Then I probably wouldn't shut up! Haha! Anyway..

I'm following the doctors orders, but wanted to get some friendly opinions.

So I have some questions. I know that every recovery is different, but are there certain best practices, do's/don'ts I should be aware of?

I'm a healthy eater, but anything you've found that helps would be of great benefit.

Today is day one, so that is out of the question. I'm stiff as a board and hobble a lot. When might you try it in small distances.

Right now, I'm doing 20 min on/off.

Generally speaking, how long until the pain subsided to where you could get around?

So obviously, start off very slow and work your way up, as long as you're being very careful. The doc says the first few days are critical.

Any other advice and encouragement would be great. Thanks for listening!

• so getting around has been next to impossible. At best I can use a walker to get to the bathroom in excruciating pain. Great to hear all these responses. Anyone else been there? Any friendly help?
  • I m 9 days post op on my microdiscetomy on s1 -l5..
    Some real bad nerve pain behaind my leg..
    I was just mostly laying down today.
    Well all the antiflamatories they gave me at the hospital wearied off so I think that's why I get nerve pain..
    But it is worse than pre op.

I don't know I was thinking I should have done desc replacement instead to avoid future surgeries.
    I was reading of it online and spoke some people, who had it instead of microdiscetomy to avoid future fusion and be more mobile..
    36y old female, s1-L5 micro discetomy 18th of September 2014
  • I'm 36 and went through around 4 years of discomfort & pain before I had my first microD. I never had my herniation diagnosed until Feb 2013 as I had always thought the pain in my leg was hamstring related. I never had lower back pain.

In answer to your q's;
    * vitamins, I take it & don't know if it helps or not but a few people told me to take magnesium. Others have said to make sure I eat plenty of protein. I don't remember why for either though (not terribly helpful, I know!)
    *walking, as much as you can. Start small & on flat even surfaces. You'll probably only be able to take small strides to start with. My surgeon & hospital physio had me walking hours after surgery the first time. The second time I didn't walk until the day after surgery. I was allowed/able to walk unaided but wasn't allowed on my own incase I felt dizzy. After my fusion a nurse had me up walking hours after surgery to the bathroom & it was a big mistake, felt like I was going to pass out & she left me alone! Don't feel bad if you go for a short walk then need hours to sleep it off, that can be normal.
    *ice, I never used it. No one mentioned it to me
    *recovery, 1st surgery it took a couple of weeks to feel ok about moving about more easily, 2nd a bit longer & fusion about the same. I had clearance to drive after 2 weeks for MicroD's (drove after 3 weeks each time) & 4weeks after fusion (still only drive short distances 7weeks post). The car still isn't too comfortable.

I was told by my surgeon 6 weeks recovery for MicroD's but it was more like 8 weeks. Just keep on top of the no bending, lifting or twisting. I know a couple of people who have had great success with only 1 MicroD. I'm just not one of them! I hope it all goes well for you,

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
This discussion has been closed.