Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In need of answers

Hello All,
This is my first time on the site, but I have spent the last two years reading many post. I am currently 29 years old. 3 months ago I had a transforaminal Interbody Lumber Fusion (TILF) minimally invasive on my L5-S1 vertebrae. A year before that I had a discectomy on the same disk. I have never had back pain. My pain has always been shooting down my buttocks and hamstrings. I was hoping to feel a little bit better, but I still have significant pain in my butt and leg on the left side. I have not been working since the surgery, but plan to go back in one week. Sitting and standing still bring out the worst pain. I meet with my surgeon in a week to schedule Physical Therapy. I walk two miles a day. I am not sure what else to do. My life revolves around my pain. I would love to hear from other people who have had this same issue at 3 months and have made a significant recovery. Thank you for any help you can provide me.

• Recovery from any spine surgery is a process. Recovery from fusion surgery can take a year or more, for the fusion to complete and for your body to feel more normal and healing to finish......minimally invasive or not, ongoing pain post op is normal. Surgery isn't done to fix pain, it is done to fix an anatomical problem or a nerve compression issue. Some patients wake from surgery and have no pain, only to have it return in the days and weeks post op, and then slowly recede as their bodies heal more, and others have ongoing nerve pain for months, and slowly get some improvement and some of us never get any.
    Walking is good, and physical therapy will help you to get your core muscles back into shape, and stretches will help as time goes on. Don't stop doing them when physical therapy is over, you must keep doing them on a regular basis to protect your spine further and to help prevent further problems down the road.
    Hang in there, 3 months is only a small slice of the recovery journey.