Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

October 2, 2014 Laminectomies, Foraminotomies, Kyphoplasty for mom...

sunnyoutlookssunnyoutlook Posts: 2
edited 09/25/2014 - 9:23 PM in New Member Introductions
My introduction and history: My name is Jill and I've joined this forum for my mom, Wilma who will have surgery next week and for myself as her supporter. Mom has been living with Back pain since 2008 - 1st compression fx discovered at that time. A fall onto concrete on July 10, 2014 caused new damage and has increased the pain beyond her incredibly high tolerance. Mom was out paddleboarding with me on my new board just a few weeks before the fall and after, she was unable to drive or barely walk without a walker.

We visited an orthopedic surgeon immediately after the fall and got x-rays and MRI. Mom was in such horrific pain, he referred us to a PMD who performed (2) facet branch blocks and (2) transforiminal epidural steroid injections over a one-month period which provided minimal relief and lasted only a few days each. He put her on Tramadol 2 to 3 times daily and Physical Therapy - which did not provide much relief either. That said, she is more mobile without use of a walker or cane and is driving again, but is in a tremendous amount of pain still.

On Sept. 9, We then went to a Neurosurgeon for a third opinion and he stated the injections would not do anything for her condition. Her nerves are nearly "strangulated" in three places - quite evident on the MRI which he showed us and explained in detail. We feel very comfortable and confident in this surgeon and he enjoys a very good reputation. He recommended the following surgery: Laminectomy and Forminotomies at L2, L3, L4 and Kyphoplasty L2. This is scheduled 10/02/2014. We are nervous, but hopeful that Mom will have success with the surgery and regain her mobility and freedom from - or at least great reduction of pain that will allow her to enjoy life again! My goal is to keep a positive outlook and help her through the recovery period.

I've been doing internet research, (lots and lots of research!) and found this fabulous informative Spine-Health site and am very impressed with all the caring and sharing of information through articles and videos and forums. Mom's surgery is next Thursday and I guess right now, I'm just looking for some support and words of encouragement to help keep our "sunny outlook!" Sorry this is so long, but if you're still reading this, thank you for that. I'll check in again later.
Wilma (mom/surgery 10/2/2014)
Jill (daughter/supporter/researcher)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 09/25/2014 - 9:30 PM
    I am sorry to hear your mother is having to go through surgery, and hope it is a success. You seem to have found your way around the site already but the link below may be of help

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank you Liz. I have indeed found some great information here. I have been to the page you've listed and wanted to let you know that the "Tips For Newcomers" is a dead link. If there is another way to get to that page, I would like to read it. Thanks again! Going to get some sleep now - I'm starting to obsess over the info-finding. I've learned more about the anatomy and terminology of the spine than I ever thought I wanted to!
    Wilma (mom/surgery 10/2/2014)
    Jill (daughter/supporter/researcher)
  • fourxluckyffourxlucky Posts: 21
    edited 09/25/2014 - 9:51 PM
    First let me say how wonderful it is that you are so supportive of your mum. I think it's great that you are doing her thinking/research while she is in such pain. Kudos to you and your mum. I hope her surgery is a success and she is able to get back to living life to the fullest like she has been. She sounds like one amazing lady.

Keep reading and posting and don't forget to take some time out on occasion to take care of yourself too.

Hang in there sunny.