Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in New Member Introductions
I am new to this site. I have been offered surgery for stenosis at C3-4 which could come critical in the near future. I use a stick for stability and an electric scooter for loner distances. Has any one had the operation called a Laminectomy lateley. with what results? Do you know the downside.

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i had a double laminectomy on L4-L5, which is not in your area. it was successful for many years but i now have bone spurs, DDD, arthritis, and bulging discs in and around the area. if you have done your homework and find conservative measures are not for you, then with your doctors permission proceed. have you gotten a second opinion? that can be invaluable! good luck and keep us posted as you progress! Jenny :)
  • I am aged 80 do you think it will make a lot of difference if I have surgery in your opinion. Ernest
  • Hi! wow! your age is a very important consideration. it is so hard for the body to recover the older we get! that would be a really big consideration in my way of thinking Ernest. your doctor will know best! have you gotten more than one opinion? what are you told about recovery? being older has risks with anesthesia as well. are you going to get worse without the surgery? i know you must be in terrible pain and at a disadvantage movement wise. how much of a success does your doctor predict? these are some really big questions i would be thinking about! good luck! Jenny
  • if it helps any...i had a double laminectomy back in 06
    i didnt have a choice in the matter...i had lost most
    of the use of my right arm...before my operation i had
    severe pain in my neck and neuropathy down both arms
    and alot of other problems...anyway since my surgury
    i have gained about 40 % of the use of my arm but i still
    have severe neck pain ddd and neuropathy down both arms
    so i would think long and hard about having the surgery
    if you have not lost the use of your limbs......p.s.
    i had my surgery at the mayo-clinic......RICK
  • My laminectomy was a great success, partly probably because of my age at the time. Outside of having the normal numbness due to nerve damage because of the injury and surgery, all I was experiencing was your occasional pinch. Now comes age 35 after having my first child (probably going to be only child) at age 32. My back is very stiff after about 6 hours of work. Sometimes the pain is more than acute and it hurts very much to bend and stoop. It feels like the muscles in my back have to support my spine now, and I think it is due to aging, that I'm not quite as elastic as I used to be. Does anyone think this could be spondylosis, or is it just arthritis creeping up on me? I've been having this problem since I was about 35, I'm 38 now.

I'd appreciate any input.