Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

31 year old male L5/S1 Microdiscectomy yesterday

1 Day out of an apparently successful microdiscectomy. I was just looking for someone who may have been my age range and having the same type surgery. Sorry if this is redundant

31 year old male. Healthy & fit but the pain became too much. So after 2 years of ups and downs I decided to take the surgery plunge on 9/25.

L4/L5- L5/S1 microdiscectomy. Operation went very well, doctor said there were no complications, I was strong and healthy and should recover well. Man I was nervous and shaky...that is until they hit me with that IV drug. Then I probably wouldn't shut up! Haha! Anyway..

I'm following the doctors orders, but wanted to get some friendly opinions.

So I have some questions. I know that every recovery is different, but are there certain best practices, do's/don'ts I should be aware of?

The Pain:
Oh dear God the pain. All the sciatic pain is gone, but it feels like someone took an axe to my lower back. Drugs are helping a small amount.
Day 1: I couldn't get out of bed. Forget about it. Best I could do was sit up
Day2: I got a walker and was able to get to the bathroom (15 feet away in about 15 min. ugh)

I'm a healthy eater, but anything you've found that helps would be of great benefit.

Right now, I'm doing 20 min on/off.

Generally speaking, how long until the pain subsided to where you could get around?

So obviously, start off very slow and work your way up, as long as you're being very careful. The doc says the first few days are critical.

Any other advice and encouragement would be great. Thanks for listening!

This is without a doubt the hardest thing I've had to do. But I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

• Hey,

I m 34y old female, former professional ballet dancer and was excellent shape. I had microdiscetomy last week 8 days ago!!
    Nice to find somebody on same situation.

I hurt my back 4moth ago in June at Bikram yoga.
    I tried all possible things but then went to do MRI and it showed 8,5mm herniated on S1-L5 and severe foraminal narrowong.

Ok, had the surgery on 18th September. No much pain after and 2 days after operation I did not even take Tylenol.
    Ok yesterday got nerve pain and freaking out.. Today it is better but worries me..
    36y old female, s1-L5 micro discetomy 18th of September 2014
  • I had like no pain in my second day at home, witch was last Saturday.. And walked normal as I did before my surgery.
    so I stopped alll pain meds. Also Tylenol and such to see really if I was pain free..

I m laying at my bed most of the time and getting up to walk around the house only. Ok, my house big so I get some exercise by walking here..
    But I m afraid to do too much so I ll definitely not go out to taking walks.

Ok, yesterday I was maybe up too much with my feet. It was my the 8th day post op any my nerve started to hurt on my feet and leg so I was like freaking out.. At the end I took 2 Tylenol 650mg...

Ok, I m taking so many minerals and vitamins.. I don't know where to start with them..
    I can list them for you later.

This new nerve leg pain worries me since I did not have this strong nerve pain prior my operation..
    But today it was somewhat less..
    I think I got up wrong way from the bed or sofa..

I felt so worried of this unexpected nerve pain that I left an email to my dr to call me...
    I started to wonder if I reherniated or some.. But ok now it is better, thanks god.

36y old female, s1-L5 micro discetomy 18th of September 2014
  • hutson797hhutson797 Posts: 35
    edited 09/27/2014 - 1:02 AM
    I can relate. I, all of the sudden started to get this weird foot pain. It has subsided a little. It was probably just from getting up too fast or not in the correct manner.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 09/27/2014 - 5:16 AM
    You should have been given post op instructions and restrictions upon your discharge from the hospital. It should give you instructions about walking, sitting, resting, medications, and the activity restrictions. Read it, and follow any oral instructions given to you by your surgeon or the nurses.
    Normal post op instructions include, walking, as much as tolerated, increasing time and distance slowly, no sitting for more than 15 minutes at a time for meals, and to sit up, but then resting or walking. Standing for no longer than 15 minutes at at time either. No lifting, bending or twisting until you return to the surgeon AND he clears you to do those things. No lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk. No driving until you are cleared by your surgeon.
    Ice, 15 minutes on, then off for an hour.......showering, etc within the discharge instructions.
    Dressing changes are included in the post op instructions.....med instructions there too.
    Nerve pain may flare up, and continue for a few days to a few weeks post op if there was nerve compression prior to the surgery. It should recede over time.
    DON"T overdo it.......no excercises or attempts at "rehabbing" UNTIL your surgeon clears you for it......

www.spine-health.com/treatment/...surgery/postoperative-care-lumbar- microdiscectomy-surgery