Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

wine and meds

yonayyona Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Pain Medications
I enjoyed drinking wine.
Until 3 and a 1/2 years ago I used to have a glass of wine with each good meal I had.
This means 1, perhaps 2 glasses of wine per week.
Never got drunk just a bit lighter and I loved it.

Now, each drug's paper comes with warning against wine.

So I drink now no more than 2-3 cups A YEAR.

Do you think they really meant "STOP DRINKING" or is it don't drink a bottle a day?

Where is the right border between do and don't?

• Ditto here! I missed my martini's every once in a while, but no alcohol means, none, nada, nein :( .
  • - alcohol could be fatal

That sounds pretty permanant -- so no drinking here!

I sure miss my wine!!
  • One fact is worth mentioning; for most opiate overdoses, and deaths, alcohol is involved in the majority of them, by far (66%+ if I remember correctly). Alcohol does affect how your pain meds affect you, and not in a good way.
  • I asked my surgeon on my 6th week checkup and he said since I don't take any narcotics, an occasional glass is OK. But the funny thing is, somehow I no longer desire it. So when it was beastly hot here in California, I had about 4 oz of cold beer and about twice I had 2-3 oz of wine with dinner. But I decided I really don't need it, although before I tried it I thought I did. So if you are taking any narcotics or anything else - like certain antibiotics - that cautions you about alcohol, then don't! If in doubt, ask your doctor.

Cheers! (without booze!) :sick: :sick: :sick:

Kin :) :) :)
  • Only speaking for my own personal case I can tell you that my doc said that for a special occasion like anniversary, birthday, etc if I were going to have a glass of wine or two that it would be OK to skip my meds that day and have the wine. I am not much of a drinker but do like to have the occasional glass on special occasions only. Of course these were my instructions and I would advise anyone considering it to talk to their doc first.
  • I am not on narcotics or opiates but people going near me can almost hear my rattling stomach (from all the pills I consume ;) ... ) Each of those says "no alcohol"
    As a person I try to avoid foolish actions so I don't drink. But I think I shall consider painintheback's idea: When there is a very special occasion (if my son gets married or so - he won't like this sentence) - I shall avoid taking meds that day.

I don't take it as a recommendation }:)
    Y.S IL
  • I miss having wine at dinner, but the doctor really rammed it into my head that mixing pills and alcohol is "dangerous" and "playing with fire".

I did skip taking my meds at Christmas to have an eggnog and brandy with the family, but it wasn't worth it.

If you like beer, O'Doul's is pretty good (it's non-alcoholic).

I'm going to look around to see if there's a non-alcoholic wine besides sparkling apple juice and the like.
  • I miss having wine too now that I think about it. I only started drinking it a year ago when I turned 21 and now I stopped because of my meds. Oh well, my health is worth more than pinot gris heh.
  • I would not do it at all without checking with your doc. I have not tried it yet but I also wonder if the pain from not taking the meds would be worth it? Like I said I am not really in to alcohol anyway. But on occasions such as my anniversary when we go out for a really nice meal I would like to have a glass with dinner. That is what prompted me to ask my doc about it. Not all meds are the same though and I would highly suggest asking the doc about this first.