Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anti-Inflamatory Gel vs Pill

TP1957TTP1957 Posts: 1
To provide some background...After a sudden bad case of sciatica in late 2000 and no relief from meds I got an MRI and showed an old fracture in my S-1 a herniated L-5 and bulging L-4. After 6 months of no working out and chiropractic care and a neurosurgeon saying I was not a candidate for surgery. By late Summer 2001, I was fine.

I am a physical fitness fanatic. I work out 6 days a week....Cycling, spin class, elliptical, resistance training and cross country skiing in season. Late last Summer I noticed when walking my dog on a short 1.75 course, I was getting bad pain in my left butt cheek and down my leg to my left ankle. This would be the only time that I experience this. It could last for a couple of weeks, then go away for a month or two.

Then in July it was pretty regular. Especially when standing in one place too long. But sometimes when walking there is nothing. Late August I went to the Dr and he prescribed Voltaren 50mg twice a day. I was given enough for 90 days and said if no improvement to come back. I had an X-Ray and along with normal disc degeneration in L-4/5 (I'm 57), there is a first degreespondylolidthesis at L-5/S-1 with bilateral spondylolysis. My Dr. said an MRI would be only for more agressive treatment and I really trust him and he's been my Dr for 26 years. After a few days on Voltaren, I felt really good. Then I did something stupid I went bike riding and went to spin but didn't get wild. After about 2 weeks I called the Dr. While the pain intensity has diminished, I was constantly belching and getting heart burn from the Voltaren. He then prescibed the Gel (1%) 3x a day.

Now to my question, I know for the back it has not been tested/approved but has anyone had better success with one or the other? I have vowed to take a 30 hiatus from all physical activity though I still walk my dog. It's frustrating not being able to do the things I love. I love the Autumn and just being able to do some nice biking would help this depression I am feeling.

Also my Chiro is pushing for me to get an MRI, but my Dr said this would only be pre-surgery. I don't really want to get one now and then if I need surgery say in 12 months, then I'll need another one.

I am the most scared about the cordesone injections. I am a pain sissy (I admit it) and I've heard some horror stories and why go through this if it is only temporary? I'm not looking fo rmedical advice but I'm just wanting to hear from others.