Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Sciatica sufferer

MrOuchMMrOuch Posts: 1
edited 09/30/2014 - 11:32 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi I'm a 47 year old male, I keep fit and workout regularly... until just over a week ago that is, when my Sciatica kicked in and I thought I'd been shot in the buttock. I've been suffering with Sciatica down my left leg for 8 days now, the pain is excruciating (like nothing I've ever experienced before, burning sensation down whole leg, especially the back of the knee, lower leg and ankle area and severely restricted mobility), it's been scary at times and I've had very little sleep. I do think I've learnt some things over the past couple of days though and would like to share it with you. Obviously these are things I've tried that have helped, I'm not recommending any of this, just logging my experience (by the way, I haven't seen a physio or doctor yet, I do have an appointment on Wednesday with a physio so, at this moment in time, I do not have a professional diagnosis of my problem): -

1). Inactivity before bedtime seems to be a bad idea. I find that if I take a short walk before bed (it's very painful to walk so a short distance approx 1/4 mile) then light stretching on my return helps. This consists of lying on my back and bringing my knee up towards my chest very slowly and allowing my body to tell me when to stop. Also, while on all fours, gentle rock from side to side and lying on my back with legs bent and feet flat on the floor, rock legs gently from side to side. It's very painful doing this but I found today that, for the first time, I was able to lay down in bed almost pain free. It allowed me to sleep for 3 hours before the pain flared up again but that's the most sleep I've had so far.
2) I take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol approx. every 5 hours, again this does ease the pain though I worry about what all these pills are doing to my gut. I do always eat something when taking the pills and I take the last dose just before I retire to bed and I don't take more then it says in the instructions for any 24 hr period.
3) I also rub Deep Heat into my upper left pelvis area and my calf (which gets very tight) as and when I feel I need to. It's very painful rubbing the cream into my pelvic and upper buttock area so that seems to be the heart of the problem.
4) I also find sitting on my wifes excercise ball helps, again while seated on the ball, I perform small movements, both back and forth and rotational... I get the feeling that continual light movement is the key.

If anyone else has had any success with things they've tried I'd be very ineterested to hear about it. I find the strangest part about this is that the most pain comes when I try to lay down, there is no position front, back or side that relieves the pain and it makes sleep almost impossible. So any advise on how I can get more than 3 hours sleep would be appreciated?