Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice: Don't get an eye exam during early recovery!

I'm learning the hard way about little things you probably don't want to do in early recovery. i went for an eye exam yesterday and when they did that thing where they shoot a puff of air into your eye (glaucoma test?), I reflexively jerked my head back and tweaked my neck. I don't think I did any permanent damage from such little movement but I am still hurting today.

When they did the second eye I held the back of my neck with my hand and it was fine. This is also what I do to suuport my neck when I get out of my recliner and it works well. (I don't have to wear my collar full-time anymore.)

I am 13 days post single-level ACDF c5/6.

Posting this in case I can save someone else from having this little annoyance occur.

C5/6 herniation, type 2 diabetes, generalized anxiety disorder

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    any new cervical surgery. Even if done the day after surgery, the only time this would present a problem is if the jolt/reaction to the test procedure was violent. Many people experience more shocks/jolts from just driving home from the hospital or walking stairs

But for yourself,you know not to have that type of test unless you are prepared to protect you neck..

So, this should not state

Advice: Don't get an eye exam during early recovery!

But instead

Information: Early post cervical surgery: If you have major reactions to air being blown into your eye, protect your neck with your hand. You should still go ahead with the eye exam unless your spinal doctor and eye doctor say not to
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Yup! :)
    C5/6 herniation, type 2 diabetes, generalized anxiety disorder