Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I have chosen artificial disc instead of microdiscetomy?

AprilAApril Posts: 41
edited 09/28/2014 - 12:13 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Should I have had an artificial disc replacement (m6) instead of microdiscetomy in s1-l5?
What your opinions?

I know that many here d say no, but I heard of some young people, who had it and are doing well and back on their exercises and gym.
As I m former professonal ballet dancer and was in excellent shape and still are regarding my condition I now wonder if I made a right choice at all since I want to go back to an active life ( ok not to ballet) and don't want to live like 80y old only walking around rest of my life and be scared of reherniation or pains or ever lifting my kids.

I'm 32y old and have 2 small kids (age of 1 and 3) and 1 13y old.
So I really can't keep living like this and ll need to have 24h/7 help for my kids from now on.
Since i can't be lift them or bend or anything to avoid reherniation.

Ok, I do know that artificial disc also require a recovery time but I m seeing those people more active than people with discetomies, who are scared of reherniations.

I had my microdiscetomy 10days ago and ok I walk normal and can walk as fare as I want to but I don't do it since it was not my issue. Issue was that I could not sit or drive a car or bend at all after my injury and was in constant pain.

My neurosurgeon at Clevland clinic said my spine was perfectly healthy only this herniation 8,5mm in L5-S 1 and on same side it had caused severely narrowed foraminal canal.
But I always walked normal only the sitting and pain was an issue.

So no I wonder if I should have went to artificial disc replacement instead?
I want to avoid future fusion and new surgeries since thus discetomy weakens the spine.
I wish I d have chosen it instead of the discetomy and now I m even thinking to find a dr to do it before other parts of my spine
Weakens etc and I can't no more do it.
Since I spoke with people who had it done instead of discetomy and doing well..

What are your thoughts??
Not sure if M6 implants are already in use in US but in Europa they are.
If I knew of that option I d have travelled there.

Sorry my spellings.. Laying down and writing the laptop on my belly and 10days post surgery and still can't sit..
36y old female, s1-L5 micro discetomy 18th of September 2014

• AprilAApril Posts: 41
    edited 09/28/2014 - 1:51 PM
    I m just asking advice and opinions.. Not like I m expected you to give me medical advice as a Dr.
    So you all welcome to say your opinions of this subject.
  • especially at the L5-S1 level.......there is not as much normal flexion, extension and rotation as there are in the artificial discs in the lumbar spine, which seems to lead to facet joint issues, in areas of the spine that were supposedly healthy prior to the implant. Revision surgery to remove the implant can be life threatening due to the major abdominal blood vessels that run through the area, so fusion in situ is the only option if the device fails or causes facet issues. I looked heavily into them, and while the idea sounds wonderful, there have been far too many not so great outcomes for those who have had them implanted in the lumbar area...especially at the L5-S1 level of the spine.
  • Yes, I know of the possible issues with possible spinal stenosis but I heart that in Europe where the spinal surgeries are more advanced the implants are future and they ll start to do them more in the US now in the future..
    Maybe in US they don't recommend it 1st since it is too expensive for the insurance

I m kind of regretting that I did not do my home work better and rushed to my micro discetomy when I was still walking normal.
    Ok pain was terrible..

I guess it' is the bends on the type implant too and the skills of the surgeon.

Sandy, may I ask when did you had your surgery? As you seem experienced.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/29/2014 - 3:57 AM
    I had my first surgery in March of 2006, my second in August of 2007. I keep up with the technology and new products because I will require a third surgery, so I want to know what's going on in the world of spine products, options and surgery advances, so when I do have to have the third, I know what I am getting myself into.
    As far as Europe goes, and the adr, they have just as many problems in the lumbar area with discs as they do in the US, but they don't have to report them. Some of the doctors I have read about are wonderful, and really do seem to do their best for their patients, and there are a few others who are in it for the money that US customers bring to them......and have left patients completely to fend for themselves after implanting the device and making a mess for the patient.
    It's not just stenosis ( a narrowing of the spinal canal or the foramina- where the nerve roots exit) that is a cause for concern,), it is implanting the device in people who should be candidates according to the manufacturer's criteria, it is putting the device in people with facet joint problems, it is the device moving after it is implanted ( subisdence) because it is not inserted properly , there are a slew of problems that can occur and it is the patient who is left to try to deal with it. The longeivity studies aren't there- how long exactly will the adr last? What happens when it wears out? How do we remove it safely if need be? What options are out there for patients who don't have good outcomes for further treatment? How do we minimize the risk of facet or adjacent segment issues?
    I am not against adr in theory, I am against putting the device in people who aren't candidates, and doctors who aren't acting in the best interest of their patient. I researched them for a long time, and still do, but so far every device has had more than it's share of issues when used in the lumbar spine. In the cervical area, some devices seem to do better there, but the rotation, flexion and extension are more in line with the natural motion of the neck.