Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Pain 10 days post L5S1 micro D?

Jack NJJack N Posts: 6
edited 09/30/2014 - 10:39 AM in Lower Back Pain
Let me start this by saying this site has been of great help to me so far. I'm hoping some of you could share your experiences with what I'm going through now. As for my story, I'm a( 33yr Male in good shape. )to begin with my disc buldge was minor only 5mm but was pressing on my sciatic nerve for 9 months before my surgery. I had 2 epidurals which completely cured the pain for 2-3 weeks then it would be back again. Did PT as well but to no avail. My pain wasn't very severe before my micro D just a constant pain in my butt and hamstring. To give an example I went to the gym and trained legs the day before my surgery and for the most part I took no pain killers, so after 2 MRIs and 2 successful epidurals my Dr. Recommended to go ahead and do the micro d, he said "if the epiduals are working that well we can be pretty sure the disc is what's causeing the pain." The day I left the surgery center on 9/17/14 I was cured of sciatica I felt great i took none of my pain killers and the only issue I had was that my back would get fatigued feeling after standing for about 10 minutes. Fast forward to 10 days later and I woke up with pain in my hip and butt and an occasional pain in my hamstring. I'm really hoping I didn't reherniate the disc some time on the night. The pain isn't terrible but it is defiantly much more than it was the previous 10 days. If I stand on one leg and lift my left leg forward I have no pain if I stand on the other and lift my right I get a bit of sciatica. In the spot it was before surgery. So what I'm asking has anyone gone through this setback? Is it normal for the pain to reoccur in 2 weeks? After reading everyone else's threads where they had numbness and loss of strength before surgery I'm wondering if I had mine too soon. I hope I didn't make a big mistake here. My dr says he's booked and won't be able to see me until the 7th. So if you have any advice or simalar experiences please share. Thanks ,Jack

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/01/2014 - 5:26 AM

If you read in the back and neck surgery forum, you will find countless threads answering this question. A flare up of nerve related pain post surgery is common, even two weeks out. If the nerve was compressed prior to surgery, once the compression is relieved, the nerve is inflammed and angry and it can take some time for it to settle down.
    Nerves recover at a rate of 1-2 mm per month, so it can remain for a few weeks to a few months, however, it usually changes in intensity, location, and eases off over that time.
  • Jack NJJack N Posts: 6
    edited 10/01/2014 - 7:44 PM
    Thank you Sandi I will have a look over there. In my search I couldn't find a thread where people said they were initially pain free then developed the pain weeks after surgery except in cases where they had a re herniation. I was a bit worried, thanks for helping me to rest.
  • I don't know why, but surgeons seem to often fail to mention to patients that there will most likely be a flare up of nerve pain post op......it would ease the minds of so many patients when it occurs.
    Part of the reasons that the nerve pain may not flare for a few weeks are complex, but when a nerve is impinged prior to surgery, then it is relieved, it may take a little bit of time before it starts to fire again, and when it does, you know it......it can be hot, stinging, tingly, burning, or electrical like you are being zapped....then , as the nerve fires again, it is almost like it is sending out all these bizarre signals.
    As time goes on, the nerve starts to settle down again, and the sensations change, become less intense, and settle eventually.