Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Second microdiscectomy

Hello everyone, I am 37yrs old and I had a microdiscectomy on my l4/l5 back in February. I herniated the same disc about two months later. I have been debating about having my second. I have seen three doctors and the opinions range from laminectomy to microdiscectomy to wait as long as you can. I was very active before this. I have also had lower back issues since college. I am currently seeing a chiropractor, pt therapist and I have a pilates instructor.

Any experiences / advice for dealing with the pain and/or second surgeries would be appreciated.

Thank you


  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 09/29/2014 - 4:20 PM
    The one thing that I would not do is continue with the chiropractor. Since you herniated the disc twice, any further adjustments could cause it to herniate even larger......I would hold off on that.
    As far as having surgery again goes, it really is a decision that you have to make with your surgeon. If the pain is bothersome, I would consult with a fourth surgeon to see what he recommends and then make a decision.
  • To Sandi, thank you for the response. I have been taking pain meds, (two 5mg Percocets twice a day) for about two months now. I am not sure I could continue with the meds or should I try and resolve the issue with surgery or another procedure.

    Well, initially, my chiro said my back is twisted and my hips were uneven from the years of having a herniated disc. I was feeling pretty good for a while. Just recent, about a week and half ago and just yesterday, I had some pretty bad "flare ups" and pain. I have an appointment next week with my Neurosurgeon and then I will most likely go to NYC for another opinion. If anyone can recommend a good one in New York City, please message me.

    Thank you.
Sign In or Register to comment.