Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My MRI results. And first visit to neurosurgeon

TambraWellsTTambraWells Posts: 1
edited 10/01/2014 - 5:08 AM in Lower Back Pain
First. Let me introduce myself, since I'm new. I'm Tami. I've had lower back and left hip/leg pain for years, just getting help from my internist, dealing with it, getting steroid and muscle relaxers (injected and by mouth) for about 10 years. Recently, everything has gotten worse. Everything hurts my back, especially standing and walking, but also sitting (for lengths of time) Those periods that used to happen a couple to three times a year are happening so frequently they are over lapping: pain doesn't let up, my left foot is numb, weak and tingling, at times. Advil doesn't work, hate taking pain meds, etc etc. Have tried therapy (when my back went out while on crutches for knee surgery, PT helped w back). None of that is working. Also have worked w personal trainer, and can't get relief. Need some help, if some one can, with MRI results as I am scheduled to see neurosurgeon in a few weeks. Just thought knowing what some of this means might be helpful in knowing what questions to ask note: I am 43 yo, female, Good physical condition (weight training, spinning, running 5ks and my first half marathon in January Not much working out in the last 6 mos. too painful when I tried, could only tolerate spin bike, and now, can't do that). Currently on no meds for health conditions, don't smoke, am not over weight (5'7" 120 lbs)
Here's my MRI. (And thanks in advance to whomever can help!)
Multi planar imaging as performed through the lumbar spine without contrast, lumbar spine demonstrates normal alignment. Vertebral body heights are well maintained Facet enlargement is seen at several levels as well as ligamentun flavum hypertrophy.
At L4-L5 there is moderate to severe disc space narrowing with posterior disc protrusion extending posterior to the L5
Vertebral body. There is broad based mass effect and spinal stenosis at this level. AP canal dimension along the superior end plate of L5 is 7.8 mm. There is left greater than right foraminal narrowing secondary to lateral disc bulging as well as prominent facet hyper trophy.
At L5-S1 there is also broad based diffuse disc bulging with some central focality. No significant spinal stenosis
Impression: multilevel degenerative disease most prominent at L4-L5 with posterior disc protrusion extending posterior to the L5 vertebral body with significant spinal stenosis and foraminal narrowing

• Hi, I am new too. I am much older than you are and have been living with intermittent lower back pain all my life. I have usually seen chiropractors and taken pain meds and muscle relaxants. I am not very athletic but have kept active with walking and with yoga/zumba.
    In the past few years, the pain have become recurrent as you described. The past 12 months have been very painful and this past summer, neither steroids nor muscle relaxants are working anymore. The chiropractic and the osteopathic manipulations don't help for more than a day or so. I saw a neurosurgeon a month ago and he prescribed a series of pain injections and a CT myelogram (very uncomfortable!). Yet he suspects the pain injections may not help much because my L4-L5 space is badly compressed (spondilylothesis). I still want to try the injections, just to see. Meanwhile, I am educating myself on the possibilities, the pros and cons, etc. I am not sure that I can live with the pain as it is.
    Lumbar fusion TLIF L4-5 Jan 12, 2015
  • http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-message-resource

Spondylolysthesis is the slippage of one vertebra over another.........a disc that is narrowed is called DDD.