Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Too young for surgery

I have been told that I am too young for surgery from 2 surgeons. Has anyone ever heard of this. I have been in pain 20 yrs with 3 bulging discs and one herniated disc. I have arthritis and spinal stenosis. I have talked to several people who had surgery and they feel great. Why won't they perform surgery on me??

• to repair. It may be that the arthritis and stenosis are not severe enough, to warrant surgery.
    Surgery is not a guarantee of a cure of pain, in fact, it is not done for that reason. It is done to fix an anatomical or neurological problem.
    I know that is tough to hear, but it is better to have a surgeon tell you that surgery isn't an option for now, than it is to have one who is willing to do surgery and wind up having far worse problems.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hello Jivajen,
    I agree with sandi 100%, most reputable medical professionals will tell you the exact same. sandi, myself, and many others here know from experience. All my fusions were done to prevent further neurological and skeletal damage.
    Hope you can find the answers that relieve your pain and discomfort.
    Take care,
  • JivajenJJivajen Posts: 7
    edited 10/01/2014 - 6:03 AM
    Does anyone have any experience with the laserspine institueThey said they could help me (of course it will cost me 10 k). I have read some pretty negative reviews and some positive ones but they do scare me a bit.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Spine problems do not discriminate regarding age and surgeons are the same. When there is a immediate need for a particular spinal surgery, the surgeon will do it. The key is immediate. There are many spinal situations where it may serve the patient better if they wait, try conservative treatments before looking at surgery.. Many times, younger people will have better chances in 'correcting' the problem without surgery.

I dont know how old you are. You indicated you have been in pain for 20 years. So, my assumption is that you are anywhere between 25 and 35, none are from being too young.

We do not allow members to ask input/recommendations from any specific institute or doctor. It is also a forum violation to name any specific institute or doctor. Laser spine institute is permitted since there are scores of different locations and facilities and practice for that.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I would caution you to do some heavy research into that particular business, before considering it.
    We all understand you hurt, and you want relief, but jumping into something , desperate for relief does not often lead to smart decisions.
    There are places like that that promise you the world, and all too often, the patient finds themselves with more problems afterward, and wishing that they hadn't done it.....
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I'll second sandi's previous post.
    Do your own research, ask lots of questions, and don't be afraid to get several opinions.
  • I'm 47 and have been told the same thing. The reasoning seems to be that if you get a fusion at my age and it lasts 10 years before you have trouble with either end of the fusion, you then have to have another surgery and this just continues. So, at 47, if I lived to 100 (I know, I'm an optimist) then you would be looking at 5 additional surgeries. Now, results may vary, maybe you get one and it lasts 20 years, but then again you might get 8. So long run the longer you can wait for the first surgery, the fewer you will have over the course of your lifetime.
  • with the advice Sandi, Ranger & Ron have given you. I'm in contact with a SH member who is only 16 years Young and she is on her 3rd surgery. However she broke her neck at age 4 and they did Not do X-rays, big mistake when she was 14 she was lifting weights and that's when the problem started. She had a C1 & C2 posterior surgery. She is now 16 and the screws at C2 have totally pulled away from her bone and she just had surgery on Thursday and had to have more fusion and repair work. It's a Huge Surgery when the Spine is involved. There is No One Size Fits all. Please do not Rush into anything, like Sandi said you could end up Worse! I am older but not old and I have had 2 neck surgeries and let me tell you the Surgery was to stable my Neck, not to take away the pain, and pain relief is a major bonus!!!

Be careful and get some opinions on Non-surgical options. Good Luck and I do hope you feel better!!!
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • How young is too young? I mean .... if my potential future children have Scheurmann's kifosis like me, can they get their spine fused when they are like 5...? I don't want them to have to go thru what I have gone thru having this untreated for so long. 
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    This is a very old discussion the original poster has not been on the forum since creating this discussion. I am closing this discussion

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.