Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctor stumper

jpink0525jjpink0525 Posts: 1
edited 09/30/2014 - 7:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
Good morning! I wanted to reach out to this forum to see if anyone has seen anything similar to what I am dealing with. Here is a back story:

I am currently 32 years old, and 4.5 years ago I "threw my lower back out" jumping in a bounce house with our kids. I immediately felt a stabbing pain that lasted for about a week. Ever since then the same pain comes and goes. Some days I will have no problems at all, but then bend over to pick something up and fall to the ground because it feels like I am being stabbed in my lower spine. I could go months at a time without having anything more than a throbbing discomfort, and then randomly will be shocked one morning with horrible pain that will last a few weeks. I pretty much have always had pain down my left leg from my lower back to my toes that worsens when the pain returns to the maximum. That has been very constant since the very beginning. I have never gone to the Dr. because by the time appointments can be scheduled, the pain is always gone so I just put it off.

A month ago I was in so much pain that I could not stand it. I finally went to the doctor and he scheduled me for an MRI. The results showed a disc tear and herniation between L4 and L5, a tear on my lower L5 disc, and arthritis on my L4 L5 joints. The part stumping the doctor is that everything on the film shows that all of this is on the right side which would explain the pain that I have just recently been experiencing down my right leg. However, he could not understand why I was saying that my pain has always been on the left side. Two doctors have checked my reflexes which were ok, but I have had loss of muscle strength in my left foot. The last doctor told me to hold my foot strong while he pulled down on it which I struggled to do and he moved it easily. I was able to hold my right foot without him moving it.

I intend to get another opinion seeing as how the Dr never even came back in the room and some nurse sent me to another office downstairs to schedule a nerve study in my left leg. Does anyone have any insight as to why everything shows on my right side, but my issues have always been on the left?

I appreciate all your help,