Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

There are several areas that I need to touch upon

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
edited 09/30/2014 - 3:23 PM in Chronic Pain
After monitoring the forums for the number of years my moderator team and myself have, seen specific threads that get touched upon very frequently and need to be addressed here.

While I understand the people making these threads for the first time, their problem, their anxiety, their fears are very real. So, to start with, I don’t want to dismiss anyone for making these type of threads. Its understandable. What would be helpful is if new member searched the forums first prior to making their thread.
Here are the topics

• 1. My pain is higher than anyone, more severe than anyone could imagine
    2. I need to just load myself up with as many pain narcotics as possible and that wont help
    3. I have no future
    4. I might as well end my life
    5. No one understands me
    6. I am too young to have this pain, my future is ruined.
I would like to take each one of those items and provide a bit of insight, you might even call it wisdom from members who have been dealing with this for 30+ years and have been on Spine-Health for more than 6 years.

My pain is higher than anyone, more severe than anyone could imagine

When people have first have spinal problems they see their pain as being sky-high, off the charts. Why? Many times its because it’s the first time they have encountered acute pain that hurts so much. So, initially, it is so very hard to deal with. Nobody could be going through the level of pain they are in, its impossible. But then after a while, when the acute pain starts into chronic pain, they understand the various levels of pain and that so many more have much more pain.

I need to just load myself up with as many pain narcotics as possible (and that wont help)

A misconception here. Pain medication, narcotics have never been intended to eliminate pain. They are just one part of the overall pain management system to control pain. If you were to eliminate all your pain through narcotics, you probably couldn’t function at all, or even live! The goal here is to have the proper level of pain medications along with all the other medications and health modules that will promote a more pain free existence. It m ay not be easy, but dealing with this is better than being 6 feet under.

I have no future

Once you state that, you have basically condemned yourself to that fate. Instead, you should be looking at all the various things you still can do and more. Looking at the positive and maintaining an upbeat approach at times is the best medicine.

I might as well end my life

Probably the most serious statements we see. Trouble is we see it way too often. Ending one’s life has never been the answer. We had a good member back in 2007, he became a moderator. He was very depressed, not just about his health but about his family life. One day he ended it all. It was a sad day for Spine-Health members but a sadder day for his family. Taking one’s life is the easy thing to do. Leaving your family behind to deal with everything is at times impossible to deal with.

Here at Spine-Health we take this very serious. When we see a thread that talks about this, we will immediately shut down the thread and provide that member with Suicide hotline numbers.

No one understands me

That could be very true. Unless people understand what it is like to live with spinal problems, chronic pain, they may never understand. Most people always understand acute pain. Sure, it’s a nail in your shoe, hitting your thumb with a hammer, a broken leg or arm. Sure it hurts, but as days go bye, that pain starts to subside. That is not the case with chronic pain.

It is always there, its as if it lives inside of us. Trying to explain to someone what this is all about may be frustrating.

But understand one thing; everyone here understands what you are going through!

I am too young to have this pain, my future is ruined

Spinal pain does not discriminate regarding age, race, creed, etc. It can affect anyone. Many times the younger folks have a much better outlook than older patients. One may say that the older patient has already lived their life, so what is another 10 or 20 years (well for me another 15 would be great!)

But younger people, they are strong, more apt to respond to surgery and to recovery quicker than older people. As long as you do what is expected of you, there is no reason to believe that your future will be dim. Instead it can be a bright as you want it to be, but you have to work for it, while others just experience it.

This is not an end all list, nor have I touched on all the subjects. But I would hope that new members take a look at this thread and before they make their post, read it again and then search for similar threads.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com