Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness following surgery

I had a discectomy (lower back) four days ago. Before I went into surgery I had some minor numbness in the heel of my left foot and in the back of my thigh. When I woke up from surgery, my entire left foot was numb (from the ankle down). It is still numb and there has not been any improvement at all since the surgery. The only change since the surgery is that now I have terrible pain in the bottom of my foot when I try to walk and severe cramping in my foot and calf. I know I am supposed to be walking a lot to help recover from my surgery, but at this point the only thing I feel in my foot is pain and every step is excruciating. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

• Yes, I've had something similar. With my second microdiscectomy, I woke up with numbness that I had not experienced prior to the surgery. It very gradually got better was unfortunately replaced with a terrible burning on the top of my foot. I assumed it was the nerve healing (and still think it is). In my case, I herniated the same disc for a 3rd time about 3 weeks after the second surgery, so my symptoms have since changed again, but I think what you are experiencing, though very scary, can be very normal.
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014