Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

If you haven't had surgery yet, or just had surgery, ask family and friends that visit you to stay home if they have the flu/colds. And they should also use care with visiting people who live with you.Or at least wash and sanitize their hands before being around. I caught a cold about a week to a week and a half after surgery and this really sucks. I had ACDF surgery so I still have a collar on but the coughing and sneezing does not feel great. It seems like common sense but people don't realize how hard it is to add a virus to it all. Especially with cold season being here full force. Also see if you can get a flu shot before you have surgery. I didn't have time and now I have a cold and have to wait until I can get one. Obviously, it wont stop you from getting colds and all flus but hopefully it will prevent some
Tracie C

• One would think that people would just follow this rule, unfortunately they don't. I had my flu shot before my fusion, but I am glad my visitors did not infect me, because coughing after surgery would have been a nightmare. I am sorry you had to experience this first hand. Hopefully you are doing better now. Take care and have a speedy recovery!
  • I'm sorry to hear that you have first hand experience with this. That has to be lousy. :( I am pre-surgery and a cough or sneeze is more than enough to set off my neck. Thanks for the advise I will be getting my flu shot asap thanks to your timely advise.

(((gentle hugs)))
  • I honestly can say that the collar is a really good thing when sneezing and coughing right now even though its driving me nuts. You may want to verify with your doctor if its a good idea to get it and how long before surgery. When the admissions nurse called me a few days before my surgery, she had suggested that I get one but it was up to me. I only had 2 weeks from the time I had the surgery scheduled to the surgery and I didn't really have time to get the flu shot. I have asthma also so the coughing and irritation from cold seems to take longer to get rid of.'
    Good Luck on your surgery Fourxlucky. I hope it goes smoothly and you have a good recovery.
    Tracie C