Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Crazy Spasms in Right Leg and Right Arm... Read on...

aintongaaintong Posts: 2
edited 10/01/2014 - 11:47 AM in Chronic Pain
I had Spinal Fusion/ Instrumentation surgery about 6 months ago on my L5/L6 and I was very close (as my doc described AFTER my surgery) to being paralyzed. I had/have numbness in my leg and nearly could not walk. Surgery is done and so is Therapy. Walking better, still have a bad limp, but I have been told that time and exercise will help with that. BUT...

In my right leg and often my right hand... I get a very odd spams/tremble when I get up from resting/sitting/laying down. The best way I can describe the feeling is as follows: Imagine when you get up in the morning and have your first stretch... It is a fairly powerful feeling that kind of seizes your body for a moment. Lock on to that "Stretch" feeling. That is the overwhelming feeling I get in my leg every time I get up from a relaxed position only It's WAY more intense than the morning stretch and completely involuntary. Sometimes, when I get up, I have to stand still for a moment before I can walk.

Sometimes this comes along with a tremble in my leg and right hand.

It is not necessarily painful. It is, however, extremely uncomfortable and debilitating when it happens. I am not really taking anything for pain at the moment. Some Tylenol Naproxen when I feel the need.

I have seen different postings on spasms and such, but I never see a description that matches exactly my symptoms.

So, As I have described it above, has anyone else experienced this? Did you find a way to alleviate and or get rid of these "spasms"??

Thanks for any replies. I am slowly getting better... Now I want to get well.
advertisement

Comments

• I have the same feeling in my left leg. I have never been able to describe what it feels like until I saw your post. I unfortunately have yet to find a way to remedy it. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this as well!!!!!
    L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
    L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.
    Ashley
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,892

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Clarinetgirl said:
    I have the same feeling in my left leg. I have never been able to describe what it feels like until I saw your post. I unfortunately have yet to find a way to remedy it. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this as well!!!!!
    Thanks for your reply and I am glad my description was good enough to explain what I feel. What is funny is some days it is so mild, almost not present but most days it's quite present! I hope that you/we find a way to make this better if, possible. I am going to be reading this site to see anything that that may help to alleviate this.

I have not taken Vicodin for 2-3 months. The doc prescribed me Baclafen and Gabapentin. The Baclafen is good, but that prescription is done. The Gabapentin seems to work sometimes, but other times I feel it makes it worse. I am ending my "recovery" faze of this process and have to force myself into Working out and losing the 20 lbs I gained over the last six months and get back to work. I just wish I could understand what this feeling is. Do I live with it?? Is there a therapy for it?? My doctors do NOT come close to understanding it because they use the party line "Wait and see".

I hope if you find something you will post it here and I will do the same.
  • Or did you taper off it? Those symptoms you describe may be related to the stopping of the baclofen if you did not taper off the medication.
    How long has this been going on?
  • ClarinetgirlCClarinetgirl Posts: 188
    edited 10/03/2014 - 9:03 AM
    If I find something that helps me I will be sure to post it here! I pray you feel better soon!!!!
    L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
    L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.
    Ashley
advertisement