Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spasms when Swallowing (no surgery)

hagihhagi Posts: 1
edited 10/01/2014 - 8:59 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Diagnosed about 5 years ago with C5/6/7 herniations after a car accident. PT, epidural injections, etc. got me back close to normal. I have been dealing with neck pain since but nothing too terrible.

I have had what seemed like a very mild sore throat for about three weeks, tonight while eating I got a horrible cramp/spasm right behind my adam's apple. Eating, drinking, any kind of swallowing was very painful. I have in the past got a similar cramp in my throat when I have been sleep deprived and yawning often .Those are more localized on the right or left side but the pain was similar but did not affect me swallowing.

My wife made a comment that recently I have been hanging my head down/looking down a lot. I noticed that position is more comfortable, and when I look up now I can feel the pain in my throat as well, or is it in the muscles in the front of the neck??? Not sure. And touching and massaging it on the outside is painful. The pain is better 5 hours later now but swallowing is still not right.

I realize this may have nothing to do with my herniations but wanted to see if anyone had an idea of there could be some relation. And should I call a ENT tomorrow, or find a Neurologist/Ortho to go see? I think the one that treated me retired.

Thanks in advance.