Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4+L5 lumbar microdisectomy

PandaNYRPPandaNYR Posts: 4
edited 10/03/2014 - 5:32 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

i have an L4+L5 microdisectomy almosy 9 weeks ago. I continue to have pain in lower left leg and left foot s well as starting to get pins and needles again. I also seem to be getting cramp in both my thighs. My lower bodie remains stiff and sore. I have been doing very light activity and have only recently returned to light swimming however a 30 minute session of exersize in the pool takes 2 days to recover from. I am really worried about the leg pain as i have had to return to work due to not getting paid any more sick pay and cannot afford to live on the basic sick benefit.

I erecently went for a follow up and was adviced i may need a 2nd operation and they where concerned regarding the leg pain.

Is there anytyhing I can do myself to eliviate pain or take any vitamins etc that will assist in reducing the cramps? rigth now I do not feel well physically or mentally any help would be great.

• I have had luck taking a magnesium supplement. I have had a significant decrease in nerve pain stemming from cervical spine issues.
  • Just ordered myself some. Thanks for the info :)
  • from surgery. Nerve pain typically returns for a period of time post op, once the nerve starts to fire again.......this usually diminishes over time, and can be treated by doctors by the use of neuropathic pain medications such as lyrica, cymbalta and gabapentin if it is bothersome.
    It usually settles down again as you get farther out from surgery.
    Surgery recovery is a process, a marathon not a sprint.
  • Thanks for your reply, I was recently seen by my consultant and he asked me to come off my medication (Was on Gabapentin) However I think I will return to my general doctor tomorrow and as to restart this. I was also on Cymbalta(duloxitine) for management of depression and have recently come off this medication as well as this was not working for my mental health. So it's possible being on both medications have been masking the flare up pain i guess?

i'm finding it all frustrating as I keep getting told to lose weight, but not to excersize too much or i will risk hurting myself again. With the depression I guess it's just frustrating me more. Thank you for the info!!

• I forgot to mention I am also having pain in my tail bone region now which I have never had before.. This is only when I am sitting