Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated disc at L5-S1

Cass99CCass99 Posts: 2
edited 10/03/2014 - 8:02 PM in Lower Back Pain
I am a 42 yr female who hurt my back 8 months ago at work lifting and moving patients. My symptoms are mid/lower back pain with sharp spasms down my right leg/foot. Saw my Pmd and she ordered and X-ray and sent me to PT. No improvement, was then advised to continue with PT and finally after couple months had a MRI. MRI reads bulging disc at L5-S1. Then I was referred to pain management. Had 2 epidural shots still with no improvement and tried PT again. No improvement. Now symptoms are worst and also have spasm in buttocks and groin with tingling/numbness to right leg also. Finally referred to neurosurgeon. After examination and reviewing MRI he advised EMG. EMG was positive then he stated I will probably need a micro-disectomy. I informed him now I have spasms and pain in left leg now. He ordered another MRI. 2nd MRI he states shows the same as the 1st MRI. Then he advised I have a CT Myleogram. Now it seems like my pain in my lower/mid back is worst then my legs now. I am taking Motrin norco gabapentin baclofen and tramadol. These meds control my pain in my legs but not so much my back. I can stand for maybe 20 mins and I start to have excruciating pain. Also I noticed if I turn a certain way or even take a deep breath I get a very sharp spasm in my back that is so bad that I fall to my knees. Finally I had CT Myleogram and my results show L5-S1 mild disc bulge and endplate spur with sclerosis on the right. Mild bilateral neural foramina encroachment. Small left paramedian disc protrusion. Small anterior endplate Spurs. At level L2-L3, L3-L4, L4-L5 with mild disc bulge at all these levels. The above is said to be due to degenerative spondylosis. Also incomplete posterior fusion level at T12, L1-L2 representing anatomic variant. Spurs ventral aspect of right and left SI joints with mild sclerosis. I don't see the surgeon for another week or so. Is my condition worst than I or the surgeon thought?
What is also very strange is the line that states incomplete posterior fusion at T12- L1/L2. I have never had surgery of any kind in my life. Any comments or advice would greatly appreciate. Thanks.