Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection: Series of 3

edited 10/04/2014 - 4:03 AM in Spinal Injections
I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis after MONTHS of pain that just got worse by the day. I have always had back pain that went away on its own, so when this started in February 2014, I thought nothing of it- it will go away like it always does. I was SO wrong haha My pain started in my lower back, week by week it traveled further down- to the left side of my butt, down to my mid thigh, then to my knee, to my mid calf, and finally all the way down to my foot. Every step I took was painful. I then started walking hunched over- I couldn't stand up straight. This became so physically limiting... YES, I am dumb for waiting to see my PCP for so long because with insurance having to approve this and that, it delayed treatment even longer. Finally after an X-Ray that showed nothing, an MRI, and a referral, I was at my Ortho 8/14/2014. Doctor diagnosed me and put me on an oral steroid pack- that did nothing. He suggests cortisone injection. I then went and had my first injection 8/28/2014... I felt relief the very next day. I started to get sensation back in my left calf and my left foot no longer had pins and needles. I was walking upright and with stretching, day by day it got better. I saw my Ortho 2 weeks after and he recommended a second injection due to the fact I was still limping a bit. Oddly enough the first injection wore off 2 days after my visit (go figure). I went and had my second injection 9/23/2014. The only relief I got from that was being numb for 20 minutes after because of the numbing medicine they gave me before the injection. I started PT and that really started to help. Twice a week for six weeks. I just finished up my second week, I woke up 10/3/2014 and couldn't stand up, couldn't walk, couldn't even put pressure on my left foot without excruciating pain. The numbness is from knee down and from left hip up to left shoulder blade (my pain is all on my left side) I can feel pressure there when I touch but no sensation. I have pins and needles (when your foot falls asleep and it starts to be okay again- that weird tingling feeling that almost tickles) from my knee down and I can't put pressure on my left foot. Can't even feel my left foot. I can't lay flat on my back without the pain from my back all the way down to my toes in my left leg. I am scheduled for my third injection 10/16/2014.

Is there any chance I could get some great relief from this third injection? Just enough to help me build some muscle and strengthen my core? I know everyone is different when it comes to this treatment, but I'm curious if anyone has ever gotten the same type of relief as me and when getting the third injection got lucky and felt relief again.... I'm miserable. I'm an extremely active person and this is so debilitating. Can anyone tell me something? Please don't even bring up surgery- I'm 28... That seems a bit extreme right now.