Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spina bifida & pain in coccyx

Mark47MMark47 Posts: 2
edited 10/04/2014 - 5:49 AM in Lower Back Pain
For many years I've been tracing my family history and over the last week or so I have been trying to locate the burial place of my auntie who died aged 13 days in 1948. The cause of her death was spina bifida and since I didn't really know what the condition was, I googled it and found this website. I was surprised to see a link between spina bifida and problems with the coccyx.

I mysef have suffered with quite severe but bearable pain for years. (I certainly remember not being able to sit crossed-legged for long in a sports class at school when I was 13 and that's over 30 years ago!) I have also read that spina bifida can run in families and wonder if I too could have the "occulta" form of the condition.

Two or three years ago I went to my doctor, having become tired of the pain in my coccyx. An x-ray was done but nothing in particular was found. I'm fairly sure he was looking at the condition from a point of view of arthritis. Is it possible he missed spina bifida occulta?

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who may have comments to share.

Many thanks in advance,