Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help..Burning pain has worsened!!!!!

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had acdf surgery in April 2008. I have been lately getting unbearable burning pain just below where I had surgery, it has worsened and in the past week and a half. I am on Vicodin 750mg and Flexeril, its not touching the pain, it still hurts just as bad. I am worried something may have come loose or shifted. Anyone have any advice

• Laurie, did the burning just recently get worse? If so, I doubt if it is that the hardware has shifted or something. You are far enough out that it should be pretty secure. But anything is possible.

Oftentimes our nerves are numb for a while, and when they start healing they cause more burning. A lot of the symptoms will change day to day, even hour by hour, as the nerves regenerate. But call the doctor to report what is going on so that he can tell you what you should do. I hope it eases off for you soon.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I always suggest that if there are changes that are unfamiliar or out of your comfort zone that you make the call to your doc. If the pain really is unbearable or something goes wrong suddenly such as loss of bladder or bowel control a trip to the ER is called for. I agree with Cindy, nerves do wake up and cause a lot of trouble- I've done this twice this year and it's happened both times. I'm not you, however, and if you feel something is wrong you need to, at the very least, call your doc.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. We always hope that, after surgery, it's all going to be over!

Good luck and I hope you find answers,

• Hey Laurie Ann,

I am with Cindy and Griff.

When I had ulnar nerve entrapment at the elbow and all of my wrist surgeries the doctors all said that when the nerves are begining to heal they sometimes will flare up and feel worse.

I have really bad nerve pain and it seems as though my meds only help a little. I am in the process of waiting for ACDF, and hoping that I will get releif from the surgery, but I am glad to have read your post because I need to remember that the possibility of a huge flare up after the surgery is very possible.
    After I had the Ulnar nerve release surgery the nerve flared up beyond the pain I had pre surgery. I was put on some serious strong medication and in two months I asked to be taken off because I could not stand the side effects and I was wondering how much pain I really had because the medication worked well. To my surprise I had minimal pain and I was able to get off all the medications and move on with life. Unfortuneatley I wa sin the car accident 3 weeks later and inured my neck.

I would suggest checking in with you doctor just to be safe because you just never know.
    Hang in there and we are here when you need us.
  • I am seeing the Doctor next Tuesday/ I spoke with his nurse and moved the appointment up. First because of what I mentioned above and I have had herniated disk in my Lumbar for 6 months. I have had epidurals but nothing has helped. Vicodin doesnt touch that pain either I have scoatoca from it. It sucks!!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate all of you that have commented.
  • I'm curious to hear what you find out when you go to the doctor next week. I'm only 5 weeks post ACDF and having a burning sensation in my opposite arm. It started out as pain and after a round of steroids has turned into the burn!

I read some of the other comments about flares with nerves and I didn't realize that could happen after surgery. I of course thought about discomfort but not about the nerves flaring and causing so much pain.

I hope you are feeling better. I will let you know if I find out anything profound tomorrow that might help you.

Take Care.
  • i had burning for awhile with the acdf. i think that was the worst part of the whole surgery. the only thing that helped was laying ice packs on the areas burning.
    no medication worked.
    all your nerves and muscles were pulled apart during this surgery. so it takes awhile for them to get back to normal.

very curious to see what your dr says. if it gets to painful before the appt, shoot to the ER. i know a pain in the tush going, but at least you may get some answers.

take care & feel better soon!!!
  • Hello,
    Laurie Ann,

I am glad to hear you will see the Doctor on Tuesday, but please if it gets to be to much just pack it up and head to the ER. There is no reason to be in so much pain when there is help availabel.

All this is somewhat interesting and scary to me as the Neuro is discussing ACDF at multiple levels with me. I have been jumping through some hoops for my Neuro. I am currently waiting to see the best Ortho who specializez in necks in my area for a second. The Neuro sent me to the Orhto to pick his brain a little on what he would do. It is all confusing and I am concerned they will say once again they think I am to young to have the surgery. I will be 39 in December who much older do I need to be.
    Any how I really feel for you both and I will be checking in to see how your doing.

This discussion has been closed.