Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3rd back surgery in a year and a half

I've been on this site for a few years and find it very helpful. I'm facing my 3rd surgery in a week or so. I have already had a L2-4 fusion and an L4-5 foraminotomy. Fusion was successful and helped immensely. Foraminotomy to relieve pressure of the bulging disc at L4-5 was unsuccessful and it really didn't change anything. The doctors agreed though that fusing that level is not necessary at this time. I then had a right side SI injection as all my pain remaining after my fusion is all on the right and all in the sacroiliac area. The injection granted me 10 blissful days of being nearly pain free and was a strong diagnostic tool to tell the doctors that was indeed where my pain is originating. So now I'm scheduled for a right side SI fusion on the Oct 15. They are going to do it minimally invasive through a couple of small incisions on my hip near the iliac crest. They say that recovery is similar to any other fusion except that its 6-8 weeks of no bending, lifting or twisting instead of 12 and no brace. Smaller incision too. And he said most people go home within a day or two, but I'm not most people and always end up in the hospital a week or more. I have been on narcotics for over 2 years and at this point have a low pain tolerance and a high medication tolerance which is a bad situation going into another major surgery. I'm very scared of the pain. But, I pray that this will be the last surgery and will make me pain free or close to it for many years to come after I'm healed. I keep trying to focus on a positive outcome but those little worries are creeping in more and more as time gets closer. I have joined the Oct surgery buddies and hope to get as much support from there as I did with my other surgeries and hope I can lend support to anyone else I can. Thanks everyone and good luck. May you have a weekend of less pain :)
Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015