Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Return to work after surgery?

Crazy pet ladyCCrazy pet lady Posts: 3
edited 10/06/2014 - 6:38 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all,

I was wondering when everyone was told that they could return to work? I had an open discectomy on September 30th, and my discharge papers said return to work in 2 weeks.

I have a job where I literally sit for 8.5 hours straight. I can't even sit for 10 minutes straight because of pain! My other issue with returning to work is that I have complete foot drop on the right side, and left side weakness. I am still using a walker to get around because these haven't even begun to resolve, and my work is not handicap accessible. i would have to lift the walker up 3 stairs to get in to my office.

Has anyone else been told that they can sit for that long so soon after surgery? The nurses in the hospital were shocked that he is sending me back so soon!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi I had a microdisectomy on the 5th sept,,, I to have a foot drop and numbness on leg foot and toes,,,but had this for 12 weeks due to pressure on nerve from slipped disc,,, a delay in sending me for an mri has the surgeon said is now I paralysed foot,,, he could have saved it if sent sooner,, I had the surgery for pain in leg he told me it would not solve the foot drop,,I'm hoping he is wrong and I finely get movement back,,, I know nerves take a long time to heel,,,, I will be fitted for a splint next week finely,,,and also see my surgeon so hopefully he can tell me more,,, I'm still not in work has I can't stand for long periods or sit for long in hard chairs get pains in foot a lot but on nerve meds for that which help,,, my back aches,, I'm on crutches but went down to one few weeks ago,, my hip hurts soon has I walk outside,,,so might have to go back to two, see physio in 2 days see what she says,,,
    I have a works meeting next week with the manager,HR, and occupational health what happens with them not sure,, never had to meet them before lol,,, I haven't been able to drive and can't till I get the all clear from the doc,, luckily I have an automatic so don't use my left leg any way,,,,
    Do you wear a splint
    Are you on nerve meds
    Can't understand you have got the all clear to go back to work,,,I can't go back just yet I take blood from people so stand for 4-5 hours at a time and bending and drive to different surgeries,,no way can I stand for that long all I can manage is going shopping and that's an hour
  • If you cant sit for 10 minutes and your job will not work with your current needs, I think you shouldn't be there. You need to have a good heart to heart with your doctor with your needs. Everything that the disability insurances goes by is the average person and what they believe is where you should be at in the recovery. Also your doctor needs to understand your job and what you do and the limitations of the work place. My doctor and the disability insurance are telling me I can go back at the end of October with restrictions. My workplace says no restrictions. Its a liability for the workplaces to accept someone who isn't up for the job to come back before the employee is ready. Maybe you should talk with HR at your workplace to make sure you know what is expected on that front before you talk to the doctor or disability insurance rep. That way you know what is allowed and what isn't. Good Luck
    Tracie C
  • I am now being sent for outpatient rehab at the hospital, and my GP has changed my return to work date to the end of November if i am able to walk independently at that time. I am being fitted for an AFO next week.
  • Debbied67DDebbied67 Posts: 100
    edited 10/07/2014 - 11:42 PM
    I to get fitted with an afo next week ,,,,I'm going for physio today they will gave me more excercises couldn't do to much cause of surgery,,, my foot still hasn't improved so going to ask the surgeon next week what can be done,,
    Glad they changed the date no way could you go back yet, had mine 5th September and and not ready to go back to work yet my sick note runs out end of October,,,I stood for nearly 2 hours the other day and ohhhhh my did I suffer had a bad back and my foot was really bad shooting pains constantly and swelled thought it was a one off but I did it again next day and I suffered again so took it easy,, can manage do my shopping in abit of pain but manageable and that's it,,, my job involves standing has I take blood from patients,, also can't sit on hard chairs for long has my back hurts,,, hope your rehab goes well keep in touch,,,,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,060
    is not really a long time after any spinal surgery.. The healing and recovery process takes time especially if there were any nerve roots involved.

Sitting for periods of time is going to hurt. Even years after my spinal surgery, I can not sit for long periods of time. The best approach to this is to be able to sit no longer than 50 minutes. Then get up, stretch, walk a bit, etc. That should last at least 10 minutes.

You can't rush nature. As time goes by and you follow all the do's and dont's then you will be able to see improvements all the time.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sorry. I was reading your posts and I have no clue what that is
    Tracie C
  • Hi an afo is an ankle foot orthotic,,,, it's what you use to keep your foot up it goes up the back of the leg and strapped around leg under knee then it goes under your foot and fits in your shoe its plastic,,, there are different designs depending on your problem,,, if you write in afo all websites come up,,,hope that helps
advertisement