Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After 8 months of crippling back pain, I had a spinal decompression. 6 weeks later and I'm still in

JLF1966JJLF1966 Posts: 36
edited 10/06/2014 - 6:07 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Apparently my nerve in the L5-S1 region was totally crunched. I had minimally invasive surgery to relieve the pressure via a neurosurgeon. My original diagnosis was for a microdiscectomy to be performed but insurance canceled that surgery. My next diagnosis and surgery was left L5-S1 radiculopathy, left L5-S1 laminectomy with medial, L5-S1 facetectomy & decompression of S1 nerve root. No discectomy or fusions were performed. I started physical therapy 4 weeks ago. I went for 2 post-op appointments but still have not seen my surgeon so I'm a bit worried. What can I expect for the road ahead for pain and more importantly, when can I return to having a normal life? I used to be fairly active before this started and I'm losing my mind; I feel like I've thrown away this entire year of my life.

Age - 27
Sex - M
Height - 6'1.5"
Weight - 152 pounds
Race - White
Duration of complaint - 9ish months
Location (Geographic and on body) - Lower back
Any existing relevant medical issues (if any) - Nope
Current medications (if any) - Nope
Include a photo if relevant (skin condition for example) - MRI pre-surgery:

• What type of surgery did you have and when? I am assuming a laminectomy? It sounds like your surgery was very recent, since you have have had two post op visits? Nerve pain can flare up for some weeks after surgery. As for the specifics, you would need to discuss those with your doctor, who performed your surgery.
  • I included it in the original post but I think the actual surgeries performed were left L5-S1 laminectomy and facetectomy. It's been 6 weeks.